ADT alarm in new house going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some help we have moved into a new house and previous owners had an ADT alarm fitted with monitoring (I guess) . Our problem is the internal siren keeps going off randomly as it is not connected to a phone line anymore and we dont pay for monitoring. I think its called a Galaxy 8 plus alarm. Does anyone know if i can use the alarm without monitoring and mainly how to stop it keep going off while trying to connect/dial as it scares me half to death if im in, the poor dog has been sat with it going off when we have got back too . I have a code left by previous owners to set or unset the alarm but no fobs. I really dont want to pay ADT to come and fix it! We use them at work and they rip you off for everything!
Many thanks and hope someone can help

Sponsored Links
Can you not completely unplug/disconnect the power for now until you find a solution? That said, power outage will probably set it off.

There is an alarm specific section on the forum, probably better to post there as you'll get more people looking.

I'm not an alarm expert but we inherited a Galaxy 8 when we moved home and AFAIK that model is quite old. You can pick up a new Galaxy G2-12 panel on ebay for about £30, and it's a fairly straight forward swap, although it takes a bit to get your head round the settings. You can also add an ethernet module for £50 which gives you texts/emails/phone calls if your alarm goes off, along with full control of the panel from a phone app or internet etc, all from one quid per month (not a typo). Google selfmon for more info, I and a few others on here are happy customers.

If your Galaxy is the same as our ADT one it probably only sounds inside the house when it goes off, ie no noise or other indication outside. IMHO that's no use, nor is paying ADT £30 per month to notice that your alarm has gone off and phone you. To upgrade yours to a 'normal' alarm you'll probably need an external siren/strobe and maybe a new battery for peace of mind.

Ours had Galaxy 8 written all over it but the actual motherboard was different to any info I could find. My conclusion was that ADT rebrand some stuff. There are different levels of codes, like user or engineer etc. You probably need the engineers code to deal with your phone line fault and ADT won't give you the code without charging you an arm and a leg.

Wait on some answers from the professionals - maybe they can advise how to reset the panel, but FWIW I'd upgrade it to a modern panel which you have full control over.

Hope this helps :)

Ok great ill have a look into that, we arnt sure if there is a siren or just a box outside but it doesnt work atm, we tried shorting the power and battery but it just went off inside! It really does have a life of its own. If theres no siren outside it seems pointless not sure quite what benefit that is might as well just have a fake box on the wall and no alarm!

Sponsored Links
Search the forum for "decomissioning"... I'd suggest you power the whole thing down until you're ready to tackle it.

When it goes off, check the display on the keypad - it should tell you why and give you a clue where the fault is. Also, consider contacting your local independant alarm companies.

Ok great ill have a look into that, we arnt sure if there is a siren or just a box outside but it doesnt work atm, we tried shorting the power and battery but it just went off inside! It really does have a life of its own. If theres no siren outside it seems pointless not sure quite what benefit that is might as well just have a fake box on the wall and no alarm!

If I explain how our ADT Galaxy 8 worked it might help you understand what's happening, since my guess is you have exactly the same setup.
We had:-
An alarm panel on the wall inside the garage, with ADT and Galaxy 8 stickers on it.
A standard MK7 keypad at the front door.
Two dummy boxes fitted on the walls outside (which did nothing except act as a visual deterrent).
A loud siren in the lounge (a white plastic box about 10 inches by 4 inches). It also had a loose length of telephone style cable coming from it, which was about the same length as to reach the nearby telephone socket.
An internal speaker, fitted above the front door.
Various door, PIR, and carbon monoxide sensors (a total of 8 zones, hence the 8 in the panel's name).

When the alarm is triggered, it makes lots of noise in the lounge but gives no indication whatsoever outside the building. It's supposed to contact ADT's Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC) via the phone line, and ADT then phone and inform you that your alarm is going off.
Depending on the panel settings, your panel will register a telephone line fault (or the fact that you don't have a current ADT contract) and might not let you reset the fault without the engineers code.

The main alarm panel will be wired into the 240v mains, but will also have a 12v backup battery inside it. Thus if you disconnect the mains then the battery should take over (although it'll probably also log a 'mains fault', which also might trigger a full alarm). Our lounge siren also had a battery inside it (although ours was dead as a dodo), so if I disconnected both the mains and the main panel battery then the battery in the lounge siren probably would've sounded (but ours didn't, probably cos it was dodo'd). This probably explains the chain of events that you describe as "a mind of it's own".

I couldn't agree more that an alarm which doesn't sound outside is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, and if our house didn't have an alarm when we moved in it probably still wouldn't have one. However, since it had one, it might as well be one which worked, right?

This led on to a bit of research and, with help from this forum, I installed a new Galaxy G2-12 (12 zone), along with a new external strobe/siren. Most of the panel works by 12v DC so it's not too dangerous if you're confident, and the sensor wiring is a straight swap. Along the way I also discovered that you can get an upgraded version of the MK7 keypad which works with keyprox (a small keyfob you swipe against it to set/unset - very handy when you come home with bags of shopping etc) and has volume control so you can have the button presses quieter (important to us since we come and go at silly times of day/night and don't want to wake each other). I also added the £50 selfmon ethernet module and have full control of the panel from my phone app.

What we now have is a self-monitored alarm costing £1 per month - which texts, emails and calls me (and other people as required) if my alarm goes off, plus it makes noise and flashes outside. I also have all the engineer's codes etc and can amend zones etc to suit. It also has night set (and part set) modes which means I can, for example, disable the upstairs sensor when I'm in bed but still have downstairs alarmed.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I hope it helps you understand what you have :)

Ok great thanks it sounds very complicated, one of the problems we have is that there is no visible wiring also, when it has been installed all wired have been dug into the walls. Our box doesn't have galaxy 8 on it but the paperwork inside said it was. It has a moden style keypad and a space for a fob, I do wonder if the previous owners updated it some how as you have suggested and it wasnt the alarm fitted originally. We have taken the box off and now the alarm needs overriding or a management code as it thinks its been tampered with. Im not sure if we will have problems without the management code. Will have a further look and tey what you have suggested. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back