ADT Alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter bought a house with a monitored ADT burglar/fire alarm. The monthly cost was more than she could afford so had it disconnected (from being monitored) and used it in unmonitored mode with her owning the hardware.

She had a problem with it about two years ago, got the ADT people in. Seems it just needed a new battery, but it also cost a fortune.

It has gone wrong again. I am not certain but think the display simply went dead without warning. We thought it could be the battery again so it was replaced. The one previously installed was a Yuasa NP7 – 12 12V 7Ah., but she replaced it with a Yuasa NP1.2 – 12V 1.2 Ah. Unfortunately the alarm still does not work.

The replacement battery obviously has far less capacity.

My questions are
1. should it still work with the lower battery capacity? (since the alarm is also mains powered and all the mains trip switches look ok)
2. will the fire alarm still work?
3. Any other ideas as to a likely cause?

Sponsored Links
1. Yes
2. Is it connected to alarm
3. No .... What alarm panel is it ? Probably a galaxy ...

3. It could be a blown fuse... Cable damage by little "furry friends"...

Consider getting your local independent alarm company in to take the system over.

Sparkymarks.

Yes the fire alarm is connected to the system as I found to my cost. When my daughter first moved in I removed the cover of one to check the battery. Only there was no battery and it was tamper proof and the alarm went off!

Sorry, cannot tell you the alarm panel right now but will find out.

Eightytwo

Are there any fuses inside the main box? There is a problem around the house with squirrels, will try to get someone to look under the floor. Unfortunately we have no idea as to where all the wires run.

Re local independent alarm company - it could still cost quite a bit, it is likely that if we can't solve the problem ourselves she will install a new wireless system.

Sponsored Links
Squirrels say no more..... Probably chewed bell cable in loft and taken out fuse....

Hear hear.

...and, yes, there are fuses in the panel.

Although squirrels can't eat cables on a wireless system, you could have a whole host of other problems. Check out other posts on wired v. wireless systems. Whilst some people regard ADT as "the powers of evil and darkness", they usually installed good quality kit.

My local installers charge about half as much per hour as the local car main dealerships

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back