Advice! Do i need building reg drawings aswell as planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got some plans drawn up for a pre planning application to nock my old single garage down and build a double garage instead. They replied saying I don't need planning I only need buildings regs.

Please see attached, its a basic plan showing sizes etc, its not in any great detail.

A friend who is a builder is doing the work which is good as it will be easier to sort and communicate, so I don't need all the details for a quote etc.

Do I need another plan now for building regulations? I spoke with them on the phone and they made out like I need to send alsorts in. can I just apply for a building notice with the plan below? and get them out to inspect each part?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    120.4 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
My experience is that even friends and family should have agreements written down. There's too much risk that you both have a slightly different understanding of what you've agreed, and when there's money involved it can turn sour especially if lots of rework is reqd. If anything is a useful thinking process to go through and will throw up questions in advance rather than making things up as you go along on a wet Tuesday morning.

You can do this on a Notice, but you do need to be very clear about who is responsible for what. If you trust your friend to do the job correctly, and if you agree who is responsible [for costs] if the inspector wants changes, then go for it.

But, if there is a public sewer or drain below or within 3m of that garage, then you can't use a Notice, and need a full plan application ... and the water company's permission first.

But, if there is a public sewer or drain below or within 3m of that garage, then you can't use a Notice, and need a full plan application ... and the water company's permission first.
Might be the official line but in practice it's generally not a problem, but BC won't sign off the founds until build over is in place

Sponsored Links
Might be the official line but in practice it's generally not a problem, but BC won't sign off the founds until build over is in place

No, the council can't even register the notice if sewers are involved.

Well done it several times for std 4" shared sewers. The reason they shouldn't register the notice is in case a build over isn't granted. But as BC sign off such build overs the order is pretty much irrelevant and that doesn't even cover situations where unknown sewers are discovered

Well done it several times for std 4" shared sewers. The reason they shouldn't register the notice is in case a build over isn't granted. But as BC sign off such build overs the order is pretty much irrelevant and that doesn't even cover situations where unknown sewers are discovered

I've had a quick scan of the B/regs 2000 which refers to when full plans and a notice can be used, and can't seem to find anything about sewers requiring full plans instead of a notice!

Don't see why there should be, BC have the protection that they won't sign off without build over agreement and won't sign off founds until BO conditions are met regardless of whether full plans or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back