Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to try and build some bunk beds out of MDF boards.

I have seen similar designs on the internet for double decker kids bunk beds and also campervan style bunk beds
also made out of MDF boards.

I can't get hold of instructions (as a guide) to follow from existing proven designs so i am asking on here for info please.

I think i should use 25mm x 1220 x 2400 boards for the around the base in these dimensions: 200cm (l) x 97cm (w) (as a single mattress is 190x90)
and the height of the 2nd tier bed will be 1220mm (1.2metre) - here another board will lay straight on top...
Q1. will a a 18mm x1220 x 2400 MDF board be strong enough to support the mattress and a young child (instead of using the traditional bed slats).
(as I think 25mm thickness mdf board here will be overkill?)

Above this level - their will be another 50cm to cover the mattress and the guard.

Actually, I was thinking about storing the base mattress here too - so that when a guest comes the mattress will be taken from here (as this will allow the base to be used as play area/work station). - unless anyone can see any problem with this?

Q2. I'm also not sure about what sort of bolts to use to connect it all together?

e.g. here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=k...ker-fantasy-bunk-bed-king-single.html;500;375

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...mNEd3jxCCq7iVad3KLPTTlyZSsf6oDWjlfG2cejkv0Oxw

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why are you limiting yourself to only sing MDF? :confused:

Plywood is far more suitable and will be what the beds you have looked at are built from.

The MDF will likely be thick enough to support the mattress. Slats are used however to allow air movement, and to help keep the mattress dry.

As to what bolts? How long is a piece of string, depends on the design and what they are connecting. At a guess M6 bolts.

I would recomened using something like sketchup to draw what you intend to built, you can also use it to think about how x will connect to y.

MDF would not withstand the stresses by itself. You could use it as the cladding if there was a timber frame work carrying the weight and other stresses.

As mentioned plywood it the better option. If the joints are screwed with brackets and glued they should stand up to a boisterous child.

The mattress should be supported by slats to allow the under side to breathe. If you put it on a sheet of ply wood without enough holes then the underside of the mattress is likely to get damp as water vapour for the person breathing and sweating condenses on the cooler ply wood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I now understand about the slats.
However the bus bunk beds I have seen definitely said mdf and I can see they did not use slats and are available in the shops.

I presume you mean use plywood for shaping the shell but using timber perhaps 2" x 4" thick for the frame?

The frame could be made using 2 by 3 timber and braced by the plywood skin. That will be more than adequate strength for a couple of children.

Notch the corner posts one inch deep to take the ends of the rails forming the sides and secure with a couple of 4 inch screws through the post and into the end of the rail.

Good advice to use marine grade ply.

With a timber frame 12 mm marine would provide more than enough bracing.

I've never heard of marine ply personally, I presume it was mentioned because its either stronger - or to avoid moisture/damp damage - if slats were not used..?

I suggested MDF as that's what's used in this one:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Double-Decker-Bus-Bunk-Bed_214449752.html
"Durable high quality E2 Class MDF with Melamine coating"

and also because building a frame and then shaping a shell into a bus shape seemed like twice as much work. Although heavier shell would mean it would be more difficult to work with.

Marine plywood is often over-specified by people, mostly because cheap crap Chinese plywood, has lead people to believe that anything but marine grade is crap.

No, just don't buy cheap Chinese crap.

It's not a boat, you don't need marine plywood.

/Rant.

MDF if perfectly fine, plywood has better screw holding power, but you can still build a perfectly strong durable structure from MDF.

I have seen the 2 following plywood on B&Q -
WBP exterior plywood 12mm thick
and
temperate softwood ply @18mm thickness.

I'm thinking that the 12mm one should suffice if I use a timber frame using 2x3inch wood and brace the plywood to this?
...unless the wbp exterior is just for exterior usage..?

I have been making some temporary storage shelves using some cheap plywood and when cutting it found some cavities where an inner ply had a number of holes in it.

I tend to use marine ply for one main reason.

It is incredibly strong.

I have used 18mm sheets of marine ply as a trampoline and they just give, but with no sign of damage. Try that with ordinary ply.

As I am well in excess of mumble stone now, that strength is appreciated!

But also appreciated where bouncing kids are concerned.

Sponsored Links
Back