advice for newbie - plastering needing done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
never done plastering before (except when i left school 25 yrs ago) thought id give it a try, as you can see from the pics its in darn need of repair,
just bought the house to fix up, ive filled in the big gaps with expand foam.
whats the best way to tackle this job, im thinking use pva then plaster then skim it.
first rip out and replace the metal edging as its a bit rusty. is this right? the rust keeps coming thru the paint, so basically plaster part of the front facing wall aswell where the edging ends?

also i have no tools or materials what would i need?

cheers in advance folks

Sponsored Links
You will need remove any pertruding foam, area with deep damage will require a bonding coat, prior to skim, PVA prime areas prior to applying any plaster coats. Normally procedure two coat prime, first left to dry, then second left to go tacky prior to plastering.
Tools required
*Buckets for mixing and water
*Paddle to mix up with (for use on suitable power rotary drill) or you could mix by hand
*Application brush or roller
*Hammer always handy
*A couple of trowels 11" and 14" (stainless steel are best)
*Margin trowels
*Hawk
*A bucket trowel
*tin snips
*tape measure
*spirt level
*On small areas you maybe able to work out of bucket, if not a ligger board and stand
*Dust sheets
*PPE
*A working platform.
That should get you going.

You will need remove any pertruding foam, area with deep damage will require a bonding coat, prior to skim, PVA prime areas prior to applying any plaster coats. Normally procedure two coat prime, first left to dry, then second left to go tacky prior to plastering.
Tools required
*Buckets for mixing and water
*Paddle to mix up with (for use on suitable power rotary drill) or you could mix by hand
*Application brush or roller
*Hammer always handy
*A couple of trowels 11" and 14" (stainless steel are best)
*Margin trowels
*Hawk
*A bucket trowel
*tin snips
*tape measure
*spirt level
*On small areas you maybe able to work out of bucket, if not a ligger board and stand
*Dust sheets
*PPE
*A working platform.
That should get you going.

ah thanks for the reply mate i'l have another look over and go from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back