Advice for repairing section of open cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I've removed a timber lean-to from our new house and this has left a small open section of wall cavity (currently crudely covered over with ply!)

I'm after some pointers as to how to make good this section. I assume the best way to use tiles but I do not know how they are supported adjoining the vertical wall?

full

Sponsored Links
Two layers of tiles so as to overlap the joints, bedded on mortar. And a mortar fillet against the wall to match the existing.

thanks for your reply! so mortar underneath the tiles on the outer skin of bricks. How do you angle the tiles so they slope very slightly away from the house and support the back edge of the tile?

Also what's the best way to do the mortar fillet (first timer with anything to do with tiles/roof etc)

Last edited:
You just wedge the tile against the wall and the mortar holds it.

The angle fillet is done with a pointing trowel. Google for some images.

3:1 mix, sharp sand not building sand

Sponsored Links
Nice one cheers Woody - i'll have a go and post a pic. Is it generally possible to match the existing tiles at a general builders merchant?

Take one of the tiles to get a match. They look like concrete, so try a roofing merchant if not in general builders merchants.

Btw, it is important than the sloping tiles overlap your new horizontal tiles, and you might need that bit of polythene across the junction too to prevent water getting between the flat and sloping tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back