Advice for repositioning/removing cross bracing please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see photo of my 1970 cut timber roof.
The cross braces sit on top of the vertical supports but are not fixed to it - they are nailed at each end to rafters. The rafters are nailed to the vertical supports but those supports are not laterally braced. The flooring joists appear to run the full width of the roof, laterally bracing the rafters.
The cross bracing at every fourth rafter is making use of the loft space difficult.
I would like to raise/remove these cross braces if possible and hoping someone can advise.

Thanks

Rob
DCP02235.JPG

Sponsored Links
They aren't doing a massive amount. Fix some collar ties higher up away from your head on every other rafter pair.

What will you do with those fluorescent tubes though?

Thanks for the reply.
Not an engineer but I don't think they are doing anything at the moment.
If I take out each of the current braces I can cut in half and refit 2 on every other rafter as you suggested.
This would support the rafter between the ridge and the vertical support which make a lot more sense to me as bracing against the rafter bowing at unsupported mid point.
Would a single M10/M12 coach bolt and penny washer each side be adequate for fixing?

Flourescent bulbs are for four lights to be fitted at some stage - had to buy 10 at a time.

A common mode of roof failure is when the bottoms of the rafters spread apart. The result can be that the bottoms of the rafters either (1) slide of the wall plates or (2) push the wall plate and possibly one or more courses of brick out of place.

The flooring joists appear to run the full width of the roof, laterally bracing the rafters.

To prevent the rafters spreading apart the rafters will have to be securely fixed tothe rafters.

Sponsored Links
The 'bracings' are to stop spread, not to stop bowing
Be sure the bottoms of the rafters cant spread then

Thanks for the replies. Main house width is approx. 9 metres - please see photos of roof structure.
There are nine of these rafter ties.
Rafters are all nicked and nailed to the vertical support which is built into the gable end wall at both ends.
Rafters are nailed to floor joists and there is a vertical 8 x 2 timber nailed to joists and rafters where they meet at each side.
I can't risk compromising the roof but don't know enough to be sure of my opinion that these ties can be safely removed.
Any further advice would be very much appreciated.
http:\\www.rhinomail.co.uk\deben\roofpic1.png
http:\\www.rhinomail.co.uk\deben\roofpic2.png
http:\\www.rhinomail.co.uk\deben\roofpic3.png

If it is not possible to advise on the forum I am prepared to pay a professional, if one available. Trouble is miles away from anywhere down here in South Devon - TQ7.

Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back