Advice needed: Building a roof for block workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I'm in the UK.

I have a block built workshop in the garden that needs a new roof as the existing corrugated metal one is rusty and full of holes.

But I don't want to put a corrugated metal one back up because I didn't like the fact that it got condensation.

It is 16ft 8in long and 12ft 4in wide.

It has a shallow pitch on it of 1 block height (about 8 inch by looking at it). It runs left to right across the width, not down the length.

It currently has 9 inch by 2.5 inch joists. With 6 running width wise left to right and one running down the length in the middle. There is also wood sitting on top of the block work.

I'm not worried about the cost (within reason) so I'm not looking for the cheapest way. I want a proper roof, no leaks, no condensation. I might even look at putting in a ceiling and boarding out and insulating the walls in the near future too. So the choice of roof needs to take all that into consideration.

I'm handy at DIY but never done any roof work before, I have a decent collection of tools and happy to buy / hire any extra tools I need.

Hope You can point me in the right direction as to whats best for my needs.

Sponsored Links
You could use Kingspan insulated sheet.
Or use felt and then corugated tin.

Another option is box profile plastic underneath then loft insulation then felt and then argicultural grade corrugated tin. Thats how chicken houses are done.

Thats how my workshop is done incidentally except I put an insulated sheet underneath instead of the plastic. Polytops to nail it up.

Where is the best place to buy Kingspan sheets from? or can you only order from kingspan direct? Are they the best choice out of your two options? Would I need 'Kingspan KS1000LP Lo-Pitch' sheets?

Also for your second option i'd need to Plywood sheet it (how thick, external ply or interior, any particular type), then felt it (nailed on? any particular type best to use?), then corrugated sheet on top of that.

Kingspan is the fastest laid. Their technical guys will advise you on the best sheet for your application.
The ordinary sheet would do I would have thought.

I wouldn't advise using plywood sheeting below. Thats not to say you can't. Some of the timber guys will advise you on that.
I'd use the box profile acrylic sheet which is white in colour and leaves you with a quality ceiling needing absolute no maintainance.

PVC Ceiling Cladding sheets are available also. Again no maintainance.

A few nails in the felt isn't a bad idea. Especially on a low pitch.

I ran the felt long ways on my garage and stretched it tight with a good overlap. When the roofs nailed down it ain't going no where.

Were working on two 1600sq/m broiler houses at the moment. Will post up a pic if I get the time to show you the idea.

Sponsored Links
Kingspan or any other insulated roof sheets would be quickest and easiest for a diyer, get them from eBay at around £10 m2 this is the cheapest I have found them for but if you keep your eyes out you may find some locally even cheaper

Ill be doing similar soon.

I was going to board the roof, then fit a rubber roof.

I was then planning on insulating between the joists, leaving a vented gap between the insulation and the loft boards. Ill be cheaping out here with polystyrene or rockwool.
Then board with plasterboard.

No idea if thats acceptable, but thats my current plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back