Advice needed - Canopy over front door coming away from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to the site and in need of some advice.

We have a timber framed and tiled canopy over the front door that has started to come away from the wall. It is held up by two wooden struts (running from front of canopy to wall) and a metal bracket holding the ridge to the wall. I'm fairly certain that its original (50's when the house was built) and I'd like to keep it for now. The hip/ridge beams and the supports seem pretty sound with no apparent (to me) rot.

Would it be feasible to replace the metal bracket holding the ridge, add some additional brackets to the hip beams and re-point the left hand support?

I am slightly worried about the lack of soldier bricks but this may be because the brickwork was to be covered by the canopy? Also, the original door was replaced by upvc and there is a bit of a gap between the bottom course of bricks and a couple are loose now, I'm guessing this is due to to the movement of the canopy frame. I'm assuming there will be a lintel behind the brickwork, but given the age of the upvc and some of the stories you hear about upvc installers I haven't had the courage to remove the loose brick to check yet.

Any advice much appreciated...

Cheers
Nick
View media item 52093View media item 52094 View media item 52095

Sponsored Links
You would be better building a new one if you ask me or you can buy ready made fibre glass ones.

What is happening is that those timber angle supports are pivoting causing the canopy to push outwards

Those supports should be made as a tiangle bracket with timber running up the wall and along the soffit - then it phyically can't pivot

Anyway, you can put some timber noggins between the joists (red) and bolt to the wall and nail thorough the timber (black)

Or use some 5mm bent restraint straps (yellow)

Thanks for the advice both

catlad - have considered total replacement and got some quotes. Bit short of cash at the mo so looking at repair rather than replace.

woody - might look at noggins and strapping the at top. What fixings would you suggest for the straps? I can then make up the triangle brackets to make sure and prevent the supports pivoting again.

Thanks again for your time.

Sponsored Links
You could get some ply and cut yourself some triangular pieces that should strengthen it with plenty of screws, then it just needs securing to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back