advice needed on a property we are buying with building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have just found out that a property we are considering buying doesnt have building regulations for the garage to bedroom conversion. It has single skins walls, plus looks like other its such as electrics needs updating etc

We have been told that we would need a indemnity insurance if we were buying the property in its current state. But if we were to approach the council for works done on the property the indemnity insurance would be invalid.

However, we definitely need to have works done to bring the garage conversion in line with current specs, otherwise we will have problems later on when we come to sell the property.
Should we notify the council before we have the works done or after?

just wondering if anyone has been through something similar and has some advice on what we should do in this situation?

Sponsored Links
When was it converted, who says you need a pointless indemnity? Why do you need to get works done to upgrade it?

just wondering if anyone has been through something similar and has some advice on what we should do in this situation?

The price reduced by however much it will cost to do the upgrade work, plus building regs application.

Or just buy it and live in it.

Exactly as woody says. get quotes to retro insulate the room to current standards plus electrics etc and use this as leverage or not.

Sponsored Links
thanks folks.
freddie, i need the indemnity as the mortgage company wont lend without one. I need to get works done, as there could be issues in the future when we come to sell it.
should I contact the council before I get the works done that are needed? or afterwards?

you need to apply to building control for the conversion. if you intend to rip out what they've done and start again. if you want to reterospectively get it signed off it will cost more and they'll need to check materials which won't be easy.

How much is the indemnity insurance going to cost; maybe get the vendors to pay for it. But if the conversion hasn't been done to building regs, then they are charging for a job that hasn't been done properly, and they should revise the price to reflect the work that needs to be done to bring it up to scratch.

You would then apply for building regs approval, and do the necessary work. Alternatively, if you know what needs to be done, then you could do the work, pretend the previous owners did it, and get it regularised. But I suspect option one is more sensible.

so the council will inspect the property, and let you know what works need to be done, and then allow you to go ahead and do it? as opposed inspect it, tell you its not fit for purpose and ask you to bring it back to its original state? (which is what im worried about)
Do you know how much the council charges for building inspections?

Sorry if im asking dumb questions here :)

Is the garage an internal, or external one, as the latter would require planning permission as well.

Building control shouldn't charge for an initial inspection, and they'll tell you what needs to be done; but you could ring them now and ask them about it (without giving the address) and that'll help you decide how to deal with the vendors.

I don't get why you think you need to upgrade things, you say you're worried about selling but you're buying it! You've still not said when it was converted either.

Because if the mortgage company is demanding the insurance indemnity, the next purchaser will have all the same problems as the OP is having.

Because if the mortgage company is demanding the insurance indemnity, the next purchaser will have all the same problems as the OP is having.
But most of these indemnity policies act in perpetuity and are fully transferable.
They however only protect against the costs of any potential enforcement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back