Advice needed on this gable end wall please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
I have this gable end wall with two unused chimneys that is permanently wet and seems to be leaching something ?
I t looks like the previous owners had trouble as tthere has beeen a poor attemt to repoint parts of it.
Any advice on what to do please ?
thanks View media item 53165 View media item 53166 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi.
They are both open at the top and the groundfloor one has a metal door on the outside that i have left off since removing a rayburn about six months ago.....so one is vented top & bottom and the upstairs one that would have had little use is vented only on top.
thanks.

What conditon is the chimney stack & flashing in? A small crack in the wrong place can easily saturate an old wall over time and damp can travel a surprising distance through the core. The cement pointing will not help.

When you say the flues are open at the top, do you mean completley open or do they have a hat to keep the rain out?

Can you take a picture showing the full gable from top to bottom?

After checking for any areas water could be getting in id remove the cement pointing, leave the wall to dry (as long as it takes) and re-point in lime mortar. The original stonework looks great, a nice feature.

Sponsored Links
Hi.
The two pots are covered on top but allow an air flow through.
I have been doing a bit of reading and have come to the conclusion that there is a build up of creosote caused by years of wood burning.When this creosote gets wet it leaches through the stonework causing rust marks which is what i have.I will take a photo tomorrow.
Thanks.

I think you may be right. Condensation in the chimney is the reason behind it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back