Advice Needed please - Ideal Icos 3080

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would very much appreciate some advice please?

I have an Ideal ICOS M3080 boiler, running for 8 years reliably with only 1 'noise' problem (consistently for 8 years from new), a rattling on startup & shutdown. The boiler had a number of services in it's lifetime and none (including IDEAL) could detect the rattle cause.

However, it's last service was neglected for the last 2 years and the most recent service revealed a large amount of aluminium deposits which was cleaned out by the engineer. Also both ignition probe, & flame sensor looked worn, but were both functioning fine.

After re-sealing the burner & on re-test of the boiler, the engineer noted a 'new' LF error occuring & ordered a replacement sensor, which was fitted a couple of days later (without the exchanger top being opened again)

The boiler continued to operate for a couple of days but with intermittent LF errors again. The engineer re-visited and a plate of insulation was discovered lose in the exchanger unit. There was evidence to suggest this had been knocked off when the flame sensor was replaced, or during the previous cleaning exercise.

In the two days the insulation was missing, it appears the exchanger suffered heat damage and the seal at the base of the heat exchanger is now leaking burnt gases (very small amount), but leaking nonetheless!

Can the exchanger unit be re-sealed? Ideal will only sell a new exchanger unit (at ferocious prices). I plan to replace the boiler next year but want to get through the winter without a house on fire :unsure:

On reading these forums I'm realising this particular type of boiler seems prone to difficult problems, but all bar the initial rattle on start/shut down it's been reliable for 8 years... :D

Advice you be appreciated please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back