Advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i need some advice concerning an extension wall we have lived in the house for 16yrs and the previous owners had a single storey extension built 18yrs ago over the past cople of years i have noticed a crack where the extension wall meets the back of the house so i decided to strip the plaster back to have a look and it looks as though the wall isnt tied into existing brickwork and there is a 15mm gap all the way down any advice please about what i should do thanks

Sponsored Links
It is more than likely tied with a steel starter clip and the 15mm gap is common

This joint will crack and the extension will always move slightly compared to the main house

Fill the wall joint with some polysulphide mastic, then plaster it back up and run some flexible caulk up the corner

Sponsored Links
anything to worry about woody because it is an interior wall and a exterior wall why is the 15mm gap common and if i fill it with mastic will it crack again and what mastic should i fill it with thanks

Its common because 10-15mm is the thickness of many wall starter ties or even just a brick joint

The joint is filled with mastic so that when movement occurs, the joint flexes and does not crack

Fill the wall joint with some polysulphide mastic

Just to let you know problem sorted Turned out the wall was only tied in in three places with homemade brackets so i took part of the wall down and fitted a wall starter tie in and blocked back up jobs a good one now thanks for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back