Advice on architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly a belated happy new year to everyone.
Can somebody advise me on the best way to fit architrave when one side of the door frame is narrow ? Basically, I have had the whole house replastered and the bathroom door is very close to the wall on the hinge side. Would running the arcs on just two sides of the door look right or is there another way of doing it. Im an amateur at DIY but can find my way round a set of tools and am reasonably capable, Im just not sure of the best way to go about the job. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It would look OK just to run the horizontal architrave at the top to the wall, and paint the narrower frame on that side. However, it doesn't look *that* narrow - a couple of inches? You could rip a piece of architrave to the required width, with a table saw. I did that for a couple of my internal doorways, and I think it looks better than leaving it blank. Conversely, in my upstairs bathroom there's only about an inch down one side, so I did the first thing as above.

Cheers
Richard

As above, providing the piece to be ripped down is at least an inch wide. If less it can either be left as it is or a suitably narrow strip of quadrant beading is often used. Personally, I always think it looks a more professional job with a matching strip of architrave fitted.

One thing to remember, especially so if you have a profiled architrave like Torus or Ogee, is to still mitre the corners at 45°, as if the pieces were both full width, and not to mitre the corners of the ripped piece and the full header piece. That means that the header piece should be cut and mitred to fit a full width door jamb with the very end snipped off, as below.

As above, you should fit something there, if there is suffucient room.

My place has quadrant/quarter round/beading in this area, but as suggested, cutting down a piece of the actual architrave to be used will give a more perfect finish.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back