Advice on casting concrete for a barbeque

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a brick barbeque and have planned to cast a concrete bed, approx 1m x 50cm x 7cm, on which to burn the charcoal. It will be supportd on an 'E' shaped brick base.

I have planned to use standard pre-blended concrete(for use in casting) with chicken wire and 8mm rebar for reinforcement.

So apart from any general advice on this project, my main question is do I have to be concerned about the heat of burning charcoal cracking the concrete?

Sponsored Links
You will need a metal base plate between the charcoal and concrete

Thanks masona, but what kind of base plate do you mean? what thickness?

Can I also ask why this is neccessary?, I've seen pre-cast concrete barbeques for sale where you have the charcoal directly on the concrete, are these made from some special concrete?

Thanks again for the help.

nlhatcher said:
Thanks masona, but what kind of base plate do you mean? what thickness?

Can I also ask why this is neccessary?, I've seen pre-cast concrete barbeques for sale where you have the charcoal directly on the concrete, are these made from some special concrete?

Thanks again for the help.

Apart from anything else, you could remove a steel plate and clean it of all grease that falls onto it.

Sponsored Links
nlhatcher said:
Can I also ask why this is neccessary?
As Wappitpoo pointed out, it's the same in the oven with trays etc and any fats drip onto it will protect the concrete etc

Even a right size metal tray will do.

WabbitPoo said:
Apart from anything else, you could remove a steel plate and clean it of all grease that falls onto it.

Ah, but you see I was hoping the fire & rain would take care of that automagically!

But seriously, without a plate do you think the concrete is at risk of cracking?

nlhatcher said:
WabbitPoo said:

Ah, but you see I was hoping the fire & rain would take care of that automagically!

But seriously, without a plate do you think the concrete is at risk of cracking?
no

nlhatcher said:
WabbitPoo said:

Hot charcoal on concrete, followed by a hefty downpour of cold rain, lots of stress on the concrete, good chance of fracture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back