Advice on choosing new shower - existing unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post I'm afraid. Long time lurker, but have only just signed up for a bit of advice on shower bar specification.

I'm currently redoing a shower room in our bungalow, a full refit having stripped everything back to bare stone and concrete. Existing water system consists of:
Potterton Netaheat boiler.
250l Megaflo unvented hot water, indirect HW, installed in 2013.
Mains CW to all taps and existing shower/bath. No CW tank in loft.
Rising main is plastic 25mm. HW is 22mm copper until branching off to taps in 15mm copper.
CW reduces to 15mm after the T to the PRV on the Megaflo inlet.
Supplier is Wessex Water, I live near the top of a hill in Wiltshire.

Water pressure readings taken are:
Static
CW 1.7 bar night, 1.6 bar day.
HW 1.7 bar night, 1.6 bar day.

Dynamic
CW 1.5 bar with just shower. Open any single tap beyond half flow and pressure drops to 0.2 bar. Flow from both drops off. 1.1 bar with bath tap fully open, flow is good but not measured flow.
HW 1.6 bar with just shower. 1.5 bar with a single tap open, including bath. Drops to 1.0 with multiple taps. Flow also good with any single tap open, including bath. Have not measured flow yet however.

I would like to fit a Grohe basin mixer (33552002, rated 1 bar min) and a Grohe bar mixer (potentially 34281001 Grohtherm 2000, min 0.5 bar). Pipework will be 15mm copper to the basin mixer and predominantly 22mm copper to within 1500mm of the shower with full bore isolating valves.

I see that the flow rates on the bar mixers are not huge, i.e. 26l/min @ 3 bar. The much larger exposed thermostats like the Avensis modern (34222000) quote a flow of 21l/min at only 0.6 bar and has a 0.1 bar min.

Can anyone offer any advice on which shower type would be more appropriate?

I think given my system, the constraint seems to be the CW max flow. Pressure is reasonable, yet the demand from any more than 1 fitting being used cannot be met as I assume the main flow rate is a bit lacklusture. I have therefore been investigating accumulators, and how beneficial one would be within my system. I have loft space available directly above the GF cupboard that has the rising main and Megaflo, so installation should be straight forward.

Can anyone please offer further advice on whether my installation would indeed benefit from an accumulator? I am considering a 250-300l unit, to cover the demand from two lengthy and simultaneous showers + another tap in use.

Thanks for getting this far if you're still reading.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back