Advice on Condenser boiler drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new condenser boiler and radiators fitted last week. Due to location of the boiler the drain pipe gave them a small problem which they said they quickly worked out a solution.

We live in a ground floor flat and they told me that it would be connected to the main waste from the bathroom.

I was in the coal hatch last night (as you do) and noticed some damp under the bathroom so a crawled to investigate. What they have done is connect to boiler drain pipes to the old cold water tank overflow pipe, seems they caused a leak in an old elbow pvc elbow joint no doubt by connecting the new pipes up to it but this is not my main concern.

Main problem is the actual length of the boiler drain pipes, it runs approximately 15.5 meters under the floor boards with about five 90 deg bends where it eventually then runs to my front garden. Its almost impossible to get it all running down to get gravity to drain water and you can see low and high points in the 15 meters of drain pipe when under the floor which means water must be static in certain areas.

Also been reading up and the ph of the waste water is around 3-6 and not good to have running onto my mortar or general garden.

Should I contact the boiler company or is this the norm?

Thanks

Please see pics, new pipe is white, then goes to the old grey pipe. White pipe passes main toilet drain pipe in one pic.

Sponsored Links
it's a terrible job.

It appears to be dripping onto the ground directly outside your house. The condensate is acidic and will eat through concrete, including wall mortar and concrete foundations.

It should have been run to a drain, such as a kitchen or bathroom waste.

If there is no gravity flow because the boiler is too low, it should have a condensate pump to lift it.

Have you verified the Gas Safe status of the installers?

Have you paid them yet?

Not paid them yet thankfully.

Am no plumbing expert but I could see that it wasn't the best job.

So a condensate pump would get the drain water flowing but it will still just dump in my front garden. Isn't almost 16 meters of drain pipe way to excessive.

I meant, connect it to bathroom or kitchen waste pipe. If it does not have enough height, add a pump so it flows to the waste.

get hold of the Manufacturers Instructions for the installation of your new boiler (which the installers are obliged to follow) and I expect it will specify how the condensate is to be drained, and that what they have done does not comply. That makes it an open-and-shut case.

Sponsored Links
Checked the boiler installation instructions and as you can imagine does not recommend anything like what I have ended up with.

just as I thought. The installer has an obligation to comply with the Manufacturer's Instructions so you have a right to demand that they correct their defective work.

Have you been able to confirm that the installer is Gas-Safe Registered?

Installer works for local company. I have been in touch with them with my problems and they said they will speak to him about when they can and get back to me.

Fingers crossed its an easy solution.

It is possible to terminate like that if the condensate has been neutralised first.

Having said that the internal run with little if any fall is not good.

Where are the kitchen/bathroom in relation to the new boiler.

It is the companies problem. They havnt carried out a thorough survey. This is usually more of an issue with big companies who have sales staff and installers separately.
The sales guy doesn't care how hard it is for the installer. He just wants to make the sale.

If there are any issues getting them to put it right contact gassafe for an inspection.

In the mean time to avoid damage done by the condensate. I would suggest you buy a bag of limestone clippings and pour it on the ground where the discharge pipe appears in your picture. This should neutralise the condensate.

There's a big shortage of good installers in Aberdeen, what with the big money in the oil industry, most guys can make double what they'd make doing boiler installs.

Regardless it's shocking workmanship........ :eek:
It looks like he could've connected to the adjacent soil pipe perhaps?
Also, it looks like the 'checks' that have been cut out of the 5x2 joists are huge!! I'm sure that'll weaken them structurally.

I've always been told that boiler condensate is just as acidic as Coke, so I think it would take a wee while to rot your foundations & even longer to rot your granite walls!!

I hope you get sorted out & I've helped.

Thanks everyone for you replies although its making me even more annoyed that I let this happen in my home.

In reply to gasservice1985 the boiler is in the kitchen which is an extension with a solid floor so piped through the wall so can then go under dining room floor and the bathroom is next to the dining room as its a ground floor flat. The boiler drain pipe passes right under the bathroom, my hall way, and bedroom before finally ending its journey on the ground outside.

Thought when I saw the huge holes cut in the 5x2 that its not the done thing, more issues to raise with them.

Thanks once again to everyone, to top it all off I now cant close a bedroom door because it just catches the edge of the new radiator, easy to plane a bit off the door but why should I have to do that!

So the best thing to do is try and get all issues resolved with the installers and if not get a gas safe survey done to highlight any problems?

I'd also be concerned as the amount of wood missing from each joist notch, that's effectively halved it's strength.

There's a big shortage of good installers in Aberdeen, what with the big money in the oil industry, most guys can make double what they'd make doing boiler installs.

I've heard this before, I believe BG were offering £25k + £8k relocation expenses if you signed up for a 5 year stint in Aberdeen.
What offshore jobs are available for domestic or commercial gas engineers?

if the boiler is in the kitchen surely there is a sink drain it could run to.

run it round the wall.

doesn't the kitchen have units it could go behind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back