advice on drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this!
I have been looking at the drains at the rear of my house and I've noticed that the gutter pipe is also connected to the waste pipe from the bath and sink in our bathroom. Should this be correct? Does this mean rainwater is going to the sewers?
I have also noticed there is standing water in this drain (see pics).
Is this a problem that I need to fix?
I really appreciate any advice on this.
Cheers,
Huw

Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about. Combined foul & surface water drains are quite normal and the "standing water" is the water trap to stop sewer smells.

Have noticed in the picture of the gulley with grating removed, the 'plug' that seals the rodding eye is missing. This will allow foul air from the drain to escape, may be worth replacing it if smells become noticeable. (Osma part number 4D993.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it.

I also dug out a drainage report carried out by the previous owners. This means naff all to me but does anyone know if this warrants further investigation. It lists a number of things:-
p6 = fracture
p7 = debris
p8 = encrustation, debris and roots
p9 = debris

Thanks again for your help!
Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back