Advice on Kitchen - should I remove my kitchen tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could provide some advice on removing kitchen tiles. I'm hoping to replace my damaged worktops in February and have had a quote for new worktops etc. I wanted to have upstands fitted up against the wall, which will mean that I need to remove the current tiles I have on. The worktop fitter suggested that, I could just remove the tiles and fill in the holes with some filler. I'm just a bit worried about taking the tiles off, as to what state the walls would be in. My husband is worried that if I take the tiles off, then the walls would need re-plastering. The tiles are already coming off near the sink anyway, which is currently being propped by a wine rack. The kitchen is around seven years old, and has plasterboard on the walls.

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

Sponsored Links
Million dollar question....!
When the old tops are removed, there's a good chance that the odd tile or two will break anyway, and if some are already loose then personally I'd remove them carefully using a wide bladed bolster chisel or similar.
Some plaster will come away almost certainly but the damage can be made good enough with some ready made plaster in tubs from the likes of Wickes etc.
You could of course just remove tiles up to the top of the upstands and then tile on top of the existing tiles if you choose.....not the best but it is an option.
John :)

use a blade to cut away any grout/sealant to make sure that when the worktops are removed it lessens the chance of losing the tiles.BUT even then there is always the chance the stubborn few will crack or come away with the top.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice. I've decided to take all the tiles off and then patch and paint the wall. I was just going to buy a plaster patching kit from homebase, will I need to buy some plaster skim too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back