Advice on lead flashing on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope this is the correct place to post this. I have had a single extension built. It is almost finished in-spite of numerous issues that I wont go into now. I have noticed issues with the roof, mainly with the quality of the lead flashing. My builder has agreed there is an issue, and is going to sort it out.

The problem I have is that I don't know what it should really look like when completed correctly, and as this is not the first time this has happened during this build I want to get some advice on what the finish should be like so when my builder says it's done I know what I should be looking for.

The first issue is the lead flashing above a new roof valley where the extension meets the existing roof.

2012_11_24_11_53_42.jpg

The next is where the roof meets the wall on the other side of the extension.

photo.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. you don't make clear what the problem is. Is it actually leaking?

2. Can't see anything useful from your pic. You need to show pics up the roof slope where it abuts the wall, ie showing the lead up the wall.

I pic one it's the poor finishing and the gap into to void at the top of the valley.

In pic 2 there is a gap by the wall edge.

I can only see the one picture, from what I can see the lead hasnt been dressed down over the tiles very good, its normally dressed over the tiles following the contours.
The lead should have been dressed around the corner and bossed down over the tiles.
It looks like its been cut level with brick work and folded over.
As Tony said, some more photos would be good.

Sponsored Links
Hi Shane thanks for your comments.

When you say "Rip that off and start again" do you mean the whole roof or edges and lead?

It's not very good. You need to get a surveyor to look at it before parting with any dosh.

That's the problem. This is a roof on a newly built extension. Building control had checked it throughout the build and issued the completion certificate last week!

Have contacted them in the first instance to explain how this was missed / was passed.

Hi Andy

I have emailed building control with my concerns and included photos and have requested that the roof is resurveyed to find all issues. Waiting now for a reply.

Shane and Joe are right - the workmanship looks dreadful.
Unfortunately, though, building control may not want to get involved with this because they can only apply the regs so far as they affect health and safety. They are not able to enforce on aspects of quality.
As the others said, get a surveyor to comment on it.

Cheers for that Tony. I'll give BI some time to respond then look at a surveyor. Is there anything specific I should be asking the surveyor? It may be a silly question but this is all getting out of my comfort zone now and want to make sure I am paying for the right service.

Thanks

One of the worst standards of workmanship for a roof that we have seen.
In our opinion three types BI. One who has come of the tools and understands standards of workmanship but has a possible lack of knowledge of regs. One who is young and knows the regs inside out but has no knowledge of workmanship standards. Then with luck you meet one in between. He is the one you respect. The other two, treat with the contempt that they deserve.
Agree with what Tony has said with regard to health and safety, but suggest you read AD C section 6.2 a & b and AD Workmanship and Materials section 2 and use that to attack the chief honcho as to why one of his officers issued a completion certificate for sub standard workmanship. Remember you help to pay their bread and butter each week, not the other way round.
If that fails, then employ a surveyor, in the meantime do not pass so much as a brass farthing in any payment owed.
Regards oldun

Thank you theoldun. I have had a reply from the BI this lunchtime. He is coming out tomorrow to meet with the builder to take a closer look at the work and state what needs doing to rectify it.

I plan to ask the builder to put in writing the work he is going to carry out before he starts any work. I also plan to make clear that if he knows of any other hidden issues with the roof that they are to be fixed as well and that I am going to get the resulting work independently checked by another surveyor prior to the final payment being made.

Does this sound like the right road to take?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back