Advice on loft conversion (bedroom)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Before I seek advice from architects etc I just want to know what other would do with the space I have in my loft.

I have a hipped root with purlin supports around the three sides of the roof sitting on the party wall and held by also a truss on each side which connects to a vertical beam which all join to hold up the point at which the three roof sides join.

The small chimney breast sits in the middle of the party wall sitting I between rafters each side. The chimney has a stepped support sitting in the center load wall.

What I'm really looking for is whether I can remove the stepped support and brace the chimney stack with batons spanning the rafters. And I suppose I could attached plaster to the batons. Is this an option?

Also I would want to remove the two trusses, so because I have purlin suppose could I go with just a more substantial vertical support?

I've uploaded a few pics to see if you could offer any advice.

The floor space I assume would be/start from the purlin so would give me 3.5m x 4m

I do not wish to have a former if poss as I'm looking to keep costs down.

Thanks for help in advance

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back