Advice on new boiler for one pipe central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a one pipe central heating system with an 18 year old non-condensing boiler in my house. It all works fine however I am about to redecorate my enitre house including laying new solid wood floors throughout. So Im after some advice as to whether I should have a new two pipe system and condensing boiler installed or just save the money/hassle and leave the existing system in place. I ask as I have heard condensing boilers may not work on one pipe systems and eventually my old boiler will need replacing?

Many Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
Your current system would have to be changed to a 2 pipe system anyway if your having a new boiler to comply with current regs.

Sponsored Links
Change the pipework anyway. No hurry to change the boiler, leave that until it goes bang. Boilers can be changed any time.

Yeah thats what i thought. one slight issue is that I already re-floored 3 of the upstairs bedrooms before i found out it was one pipe - so bloody annoying!

if you can do it then do it. You dont have to have a 2 pipe system but it is beneficial

I would expect that the radiators are all old if your boiler is 18 years old
and you have a one pipe system.
Best to rip the lot out and install something efficient and modern.

A one pipe system is very nearly as efficient as a two pipe.

If it is working OK with no problems you are not going to be any better off with two pipes under the floor. You must be the judge of how good the current system is.

Most modern condensers will work just fine on a one pipe, we've done plenty. If you go to a listed building with iron rads, who in their right mind would rip that out?

If you do fit a new boiler, one pipe systems can't be Powerflushed, so fit a decent dirt filter, such as the new uprated Magnabooster3.

Apologies, i am not in the habit of giving out wrong information it was something i overheard in the plumbers merchants. Seems i shouldn't believe everything i hear :oops:

Many condensing boilers will work fine on a one pipe system.

However, there are two aspects you need to be aware of.

Old boilers are designed for a flow of 80 C whereas for a condensing boiler its 70 C although you can up that to 75 C without much loss of efficiency.

Condensing boilers are designed for a return 20 C below the flow. That means the return will be say 55 C and that means the last rads will be say 53 C instead of say 73 C.

Most houses with one pipes have undersized rads and I usually add a large central rad in say the hallway to increase the overall heat input to the house.

Another trick is to seperate the one pipe into two loops of one pipe.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back