Advice on new install central heating and hot water setup for a 6 bed HMO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating and hot water for a 6 bed HMO

Just a few questions about the setup for a 3 storey, 6 bedrooms HMO (house of multiple occupancy).
This is a domestic house with 6 bedrooms but each bedroom is let individually to unrelated tenants, rather than to 1 family.

The gas and electric bills are paid for by the landlord, not the tenants.

The property is having a full refurbishment and being done to spec so it can be rented out as a HMO. Once finished it will go up for sale, rent as a full 6 bed house, and rent as a HMO. Which ever option offers the best deal dictates what is done with the property.
It is likely to be rented out as a HMO.

Property:
3 storeys.
6x bedrooms.
5x Ensuite/bathrooms including 5x showers.

2nd floor has 3x bedrooms and 3x ensuites.
1st floor has 3x bedrooms and 1x ensuite.
Ground floor has living room, kitchen/diner, bathroom.
Cellar is not used but will probably house the heating system. Heating system could also go in the attic because there is plenty of space.

The central heating system needs to either be able to heat all the rooms and 4x or 5x showers, or if it makes a significant reduction on the cost of the installation of the heating system then more of the showers could be replaced for electric showers making the system only have to power 3x or maybe 2x showers.

Cost is the major factor really here.
Could i have some advice and options on the type of setup, type of boilers, programmable stat (that tenants wont have access to) etc.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Central heating and hot water for a 6 bed HMO

Just a few questions about the setup for a 3 storey, 6 bedrooms HMO (house of multiple occupancy).
This is a domestic house with 6 bedrooms but each bedroom is let individually to unrelated tenants, rather than to 1 family.

The gas and electric bills are paid for by the landlord, not the tenants.

The property is having a full refurbishment and being done to spec so it can be rented out as a HMO. Once finished it will go up for sale, rent as a full 6 bed house, and rent as a HMO. Which ever option offers the best deal dictates what is done with the property.
It is likely to be rented out as a HMO.

Property:
3 storeys.
6x bedrooms.
5x Ensuite/bathrooms including 5x showers.

2nd floor has 3x bedrooms and 3x ensuites.
1st floor has 3x bedrooms and 1x ensuite.
Ground floor has living room, kitchen/diner, bathroom.
Cellar is not used but will probably house the heating system. Heating system could also go in the attic because there is plenty of space.

The central heating system needs to either be able to heat all the rooms and 4x or 5x showers, or if it makes a significant reduction on the cost of the installation of the heating system then more of the showers could be replaced for electric showers making the system only have to power 3x or maybe 2x showers.

Cost is the major factor really here.
Could i have some advice and options on the type of setup, type of boilers, programmable stat (that tenants wont have access to) etc.
thanks

And are you the landlord?
Not really a request for diy plumbing and heating advice is it!
No, offense but that's rather a tall order for this forum, for what is, realistically, assistance with a business venture!

An underfloor heating manifold connected to radiators with a programmable thermostat in each room would be the best way to achieve individually controllable heating in each room. Hot water setup will depend on incoming mains supply capacity

each room doesnt need to be individually controlled however thanks for the advice.

the house just needs to be heated between the usual hours of like 7am to 9am to 21 degrees, then drop to maybe 16 degrees during the day, then back upto 21 for between 5pm - 9pm and drop back to 16. Or something similar.

i wanted to get the information i needed on the type of setup before i get quotes. id like to know what i want/need first and then get quotes and advice. otherwise its likely that each quote will recommend a different setup/system.

Sponsored Links
As will everyone in here will have different ideas on what is the best way to do it

But the requirements for an HMO is totally different - fire doors, fire escapes are just one topic.

You may have to comply with the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations.

im aware of the other regulations regarding fire doors etc, however im only enquiring about the central heating and showers aspect in this post.

the heating requirements are pretty basic.
there is nothing uncommon, its basically still a rented house, not really any differences.

here is what is required taken straight out of the HMO standards:

Space heating: habital rooms, ancillary and common space heating by means of either:
a - fixed room seal or open flued gas appliance,
b - fixed electrical heating appliance
c - central heating

temperature needed:
bedrooms 16 degrees
common spaces 16
ancillary 16
other rooms 21.

if pre programmed:
heating to operate between 6.00am and midnight daily as a minimum.

thats it.

First thing to establish is the water and gas supply to the property... Pressure and flow of water and bore of both. This will effect the install options open to you, unless you make modifications.

Next is individual room control... You will need to incorporate this as tenants will ALL differ in their comfort demands and lifestyles (especially those from overseas).
They will be on the landlords case continually if they have on, off times decided for them! Plus different rooms/floors are likely to have different baseline/ambient temps, regardless of heating.
All 5,6 or 7 showers could be used at the same time, as well as wc's flushing, dishwasher and washing machine running... Think of the load on the system for that scenario.

I fit tamper proof programmers and tamper proof limit stats for a landlord of mine.
Heating is on at programmed times but boost button is accessible for programmed off times.
He noticed a marked drop in fuel bills.
You cannot deprive tenants of hot water but the heating should be available when needed.
Locked TRVS are also used on these jobs but locked to an acceptable comfortable temperature.

So you will be aware that the house will require a licence from the local council and you have, of course, asked them what their specific requirements are for space heating (It varies from council to council.)

And you have checked that the council consider you a "fit and proper person to be a licence holder."

yes i know a licence is needed,
yes i know how much it costs,
yes i know what the specific requirements for space heating are for the council - i have listed them above.
yes i know about fit and proper person etc,
yes i know about the fines,
yes i know about managment roles etc.

im enquiring about the boiler and heating aspects only, not about other rules and regulations of a HMO or rented property.

the water supply is via a newer black pvc supply pipe. i assume this has been replaced some time fairly recently because after this new supply one of the old lead pipes feeding an outside supply has been 'T'd off and is still the original old lead.

The gas supply would be renewed from the meter in 22mm. Im not sure what the supply is upto the meter?

There will be 5x showers maximum. No baths. No dishwasher. 1x washing machine.

The LA said most HMOs just have TRVs in the rooms on a standard heating system with the stat set to the required temperatures at the required times of day.

I do like the idea what jeff the gasman suggested of tamper proof programmers and limit stats with a boost button and locked TRVs. I have read of another landlord who also has remote access to the stat and central heating system and monitors it from home?

Just pose as a potential tenant and visit a similar HMO in your area, that you believe you will be in competition with, and see what they've done! And if possible speak to one of the tenants and ask them their opinion of the facilities!

It depends on what type of tenant/rent you want to attract!

If you're worried about "excessive" heating bills, spend some money now on insulation, draughtproofing etc.

im enquiring about the boiler and heating aspects only,
On this thread - but what about the others?

This forum is for DIY advice for those wanting to make repairs to their own homes - not for step by step instructions on how to convert a house into an HMO on the cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back