Advice on plumbers heating quote

R

rural49

I've got a price from a plumber to install a boiler in my house - a vokera 30 he system boiler.

He says it will be £2200 for a cash job, but he was a bit evasive when I asked if it would come with a gas safe certificate, so I'm a bit worried that I won't get one.

He's already done a bit of preparatory work - putting a cleaner into one of the radiators and leaving it over the past couple of weeks - he said the system wouldn't need power flushed if he did this.

Should I get a comparitive quote? I wan't all the paperwork and guarantees, which I'm not sure I'd get handing him an envelope with cash in it.

His van has got the corgi logo on the side btw.

Advice?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
"Evasive" means not gas-safe. You can check out a name on the website, or check on a number he might have given you. Corgi is old hat, dead as a doornail, etc, etc. "Cash" means no VAT (which might be legitimate in some cases), probably no tax at all, but also there will be no paperwork and possible difficulties down the line with warranty work or if you want to sell or let your home. Up to you really, but the price isn't that great anyway, especially for Scotland. A "straight" boiler replacement can be done with all paperwork for less than 2,000 including a pretty good boiler.

Always get more than one quote anyway. Big companies will be quite a lot higher, but you should question any unusually low or unusually high quotes. If the first two or three are completely all over the map, then get another one or two. All the pros on here will whine about having to make five times as many quotes as they get jobs, but then they do work in an industry full of people trying to rip you off for a considerable sum of money.

Than again the profesionals in this industry , do work for customers who attempt to rip them off !

paying cash ???? Defraunding HM customs & excise may be ? possibly ?

Than again the profesionals in this industry , do work for customers who attempt to rip them off !

paying cash ???? Defraunding HM customs & excise may be ? possibly ?

Not sure what you're saying there Transam - I'd rather pay by cheque and get all the paperwork.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with cash at all, as long as he is Gassafe registered, does the job properly, it's all in writing, Benchmark filled in correctly, and you get your Gaswork notification certificate, which will come in the post.

It's usual to get your quotes "first", then choose who you want, not accept a quote, get the installer to start the job and then fanny around afterwards with other quotes ****ing everyone off.

Ask to see Gase Safe card, and check the reverse for elements. Check date. If he can't produce, tell him to clear off, and possibly let gas safe know, if he has claimed to be registered

Ask to see Gase Safe card, and check the reverse for elements. Check date. If he can't produce, tell him to clear off, and possibly let gas safe know, if he has claimed to be registered

I take it by law or maybe as being gas safe registered you lot have to give out your gas safe number when asked?

There is no law that says we HAVE to give our gas safe details.

HOWEVER, any genuine person will have no problems doing so.

Even if they did not, you can search the gas safe web site for registered people in your area and even look at their photos!

Tony

so can i have your gas safe number then please?
LOL

Ye i was looking on the gas safe register earlier and found it a very good site. Seems alot better than when it was corgi.

Agile seemingly looking on gassafe site for pictures doesnt work or it didnt last year when your picture and qualification to work was missing for several months i wonder why thay was

All the pros on here will whine about having to make five times as many quotes as they get jobs, but then they do work in an industry full of people trying to rip you off for a considerable sum of money.

I think the key word in this is 'Pro'.

If you aren't one, your advice is to be treated with a suitable degree of gravitas.

If we all worked in a world where everything had to be looked at 5 times before it was done, nothing would get done and when it was, it would be disproportionally expensive.

You can't have it both ways, a Pro can see this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back