Advice on pouring concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
So since we spoke last I've excavated our cellar(4m x 2.7m) another 80cm and reinforced the foundations and footing with armored "waterproof concrete". Everything has gone in and cured well without problems.

The next step for us is installing drainage, sump pump and pour the floor.

I need some advice on the floor-pouring front as I have never done it before.

This is what I was thinking:
The base is damp compacted fine clay.
I'm using 80mm drainage pipe around the whole perimeter which will be placed in some coarse gravel after the first layer of concrete has been poured which will contain some steel reinforcing.

After the first layer of concrete has cured and the drainage pipes and gravel has been placed, I want to cover the whole area except for sump access with the HD Dimpled Membrane and then subsequently cover the membrane with a second layer of concrete that will be final floor surface.
I intend on mixing the concrete myself.

I have some questions:

• Any comments on my proposed method?
  • Do I need contraction joints in my first layer of concrete? How far appart? How to make them without special tools?
  • Do I need contraction joints in the final layer of concrete? What thickness should I make this layer? Do I need steel in this layer?
  • Is there anything specific I need to do in the area where the floor touches the wall?

Thank you in advance for your advice. I'd like to do things right the first time if possible :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back