Advice on skimming walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the throws of buying a 25 year old bungalow. All the walls are covered in wallpaper, the bathrooms are fully tiled.

Nothing is to our liking apart from the house. We have only ever lived in new builds and have never used wallpaper anywhere... just not our thing. So this is a learning curve for me.

Is it likely that we will have to have the walls skimmed after removing the wallpaper to get a surface that will look good emulsioned? If yes would it be better to remove skirting boards?

As for the bathrooms and kitchen I guessing it would be best to remove all plaster work and start again, or is that over the top?

We will have the benefit of getting any work done before we move in.

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated?

Sponsored Links
First of all start researching who is to do the work.

Three quotes and ask to see the work. Value for money is quality plus price, not the cheapest quote!

Better usually to ask the person doing the work about prep but-

Remove skirtings and architraves for a better job, but it may depend on the depth of plaster they allow and paint build up on them.

For kitchen and bathroom, It depends on the existing plaster in terms of how true it is and how sound. You may have to remove it but might be okay to bond and set over it.

Be aware of any damp and ventilation issues but I imagine you would have mentioned them if present.

Be clear on what you want from the plasterer - if you have some walls or ceilings that are not straight, he may not be able to get them as sharp as you want by going over them - so make sure you both understand what 'good' looks like.

Hope it all goes well.

Sponsored Links
That's okay. This is the most important stage of the job- get this right and the rest will follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back