Advice on solid wood flooring laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Grateful for a bit of advice, not on the actual laying, but what surface to actually start with.

I want to lay some solid wood flooring downstairs. The current floor surface is made up as follows:

- concrete floor
- Plastic sheet DPC
- Polystyrene insulation board about 3-4 cm thick
- Chipboard floor
- Underlay
- carpet

My question relates to which surface I should be stripping back to.

Bearing in mind the solid wood flooring that I will lay would be either 14 or 18 mm thick, plus will require its own underlay board (for insulation and sound deadening).

On this basis should I take up and remove the existing chipboard floor and lay the underlay board and wood floor on top of the existing polystyrene? Or should I be laying it onto the existing chipboard?

The trouble with that approach is the additional height that will add to the floor probably 4-5 cm, which is a lot and would obviousley require doors being cut and also creating steps where it meets other rooms.

Many Thanks!

David

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back