Advice on the best White Gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Prior to the new voc levels ref 2010.
The advice on here was a big vote for the Crown Solo gloss. I took this advice and used it whereby I must say it was excellent and kept its whiteness very very good.
Re-painting everywhere shortly but getting confusing stories about rapid yellowing taking place of oil based white gloss paints! ( all makes since 2010 and Dulux the worst).
Could the professionals please give me a current update as to their opinions on the best one ( oil based ) to use for long lasting whiteness and usage. Or are the water based gloss ones necessitated now? What do you use as of today?
Regards

Sponsored Links
If you want it to stay white you have to use water based, johnstones aqua is pretty good but you need a soft synthetic brush and i've found it better over their own WB u/c
Dulux blue lid appears ok (oil based) but who knows as to longevity? and it will still yellow over time (because OB does).

I had it reported to me that a letting i did in crown solo yellowed very badly very quickly so one to be avoided (the one and only time i've ever used it).

I am aware oil based ones will eventually yellow. But the Crown solo prior to 2010 was excellent. Still had a bit left and just repainted a room ( door, skirts frame etc. ) and after 3 yrs not a massive difference, looks really good but old stuff wasn`t yellowed! Are the professionals not using O/b now?
Thanks for input.

Solo is the worst for yellowing - less than six weeks and it was the colour of a smokers house. I only use Aqua for gloss now.

Sponsored Links
is it indoors or out?

if indoors, it it well-lit from a window?

Cheers for replys...........Indoors & reasonably well in site of natural daylight........Really?.. Solo gone that bad has it? Wow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back