Advice please on prep + deep screed over cutback adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I took up some old thin 5/6mm laminate from our hallway in order to lay a better version 10mm thick + 5mm green underlay. The old stuff was laid over the original vinyl tiles from the early 70s and unfortunately the subfloor levels are out in a few places by 12mm... I threw down the new laminate temporarily with some hardboard packing the intention to screed it in the new year, whence this post.

Under the tiles (which are easy to remove due to their age) is black cutback adhesive (not easy to remove) which I am going to assume contains asbestos given the build of the house. Rather than grind out or use chemical strip (which I want to avoid due to pet and wife factor/fumes/seepage into the concrete subfloor etc).. I'd rather cover it with a suitable compound or primer before screeding, but I'm having trouble determining the right solution.

I've seen folk (mainly in U.S.) suggest Ardex Feather Edge is good for covering over cutback, but unfortunately that doesn't address the deep levelling issues unless I build it up or supplement it with a suitable deep screed (assuming Ardex or Mapei Reno would work on top) - I've used Mapei Reno screen on other projects so quite familiar with it, tho that was on bare concrete using Prim T.

I see they do a product called Eco Prim Grip which should adhere to almost anything, but the datasheets say not to be used over asbestos substrates (perhaps a vague disclaimer to avoid people drilling/sanding it off in future? would probably adhere ok? )

Appreciate any suggestions on offer.. since this is a hallway, anything rapid setting would be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I sell them all mate. Some in stock and some I order in.
I'm in Moreton , Tarran Way South.
Drop me a email of what you want I I can get you some prices
[email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back