Advice please - what order to decorate a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am new to this forum and wonder if I could ask some advice. I want to decorate a bedroom but am not sure in which order things need to be done (DIY novice!) So far all I have done is strip some wallpaper. Underneath the wallpaper is bright orange paint which will need to be removed. I would like the walls to be painted rather than wallpapered. The ceiling and probably the walls will need plastering, new coving and I need to replace the sliding door that is there at present with a bifold door and also need a new carpet. I am thinking plastering and coving first, then door, then paint everything and finally carpet. Does this sound about right? Thanks for any help :) .

catfan

Sponsored Links
Do you have to change the door opening for the new door? The bi-fold doors I have seen are not supposed to be trimmed and need a right size doorframe. If so, I would do the door before the plastering. Also if you want any additional sockets, lighting switches, etc., do it before plastering.

Is the door going to open into the room? Make sure there is enough clearance at the bottom for the carpet/underlay.

Don't know what your budget is but I was surprised to find out that the carpet underlay is more expensive than the carpet I am going to buy. Unfortunately I realised this after the old carpet and underlay from one of the bedrooms have gone. For the second bedroom I am redecorating I removed the carpet, the underlay is in good condition, so I am going to pack it carefully, put it aside and reuse it when everything is ready for the new carpet. Probably the carpet layers will say it is a wrong thing to do but that is what I can afford.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back