advice plz?

L

Lincsbodger

Ok, heres a problem.

I have an allotment. Ive watered it for years with a lawn sprinkler, except some new miserable SOB women on the other side of the plot has complained, so i cant use the sprinkler. So im looking for a way round the rules.

Its perfectly legitimate to fill a 1000 L IBC tank, and then use a petrol or electric pump to pump water to drive the sprinkle - ive got a 800W petrol generator. What sort of Litres per minute or Feet of head will i need to get a similar pressure to the mains water ?

Sponsored Links
With the wet summers of recent years what do you water it for,unless its a rice field :eek:

With the wet summers of recent years what do you water it for,unless its a rice field :eek:

well

1. this summer isnt going to be as wet

2. the soil is only about 4 foot deep, the allotment sits on a limestone escarpment, it dries out quickly and goes rock hard. Needs watering.

Ive come to the conclusion that 1 cubic metre of water (1000L per hour) ie15L a minute shoudl be enough, and it needs enough head to throw the water like a fountiain, so maybe a pond fountain pump that does that sort of rate?

why are you using a sprinkler system. Thats wasting a lot of water and also its making more work for yourself by watering the weeds. Youd be better with a soaker hose system.

I have a similar problem to you with no access to mains water. I built a stollage to put my water containers on which raised them about 1.5m above ground level. then used a soaker hose system with a timer and it works fine, no need for any pumps etc

Sponsored Links
why are you using a sprinkler system. Thats wasting a lot of water and also its making more work for yourself by watering the weeds. Youd be better with a soaker hose system.

I have a similar problem to you with no access to mains water. I built a stollage to put my water containers on which raised them about 1.5m above ground level. then used a soaker hose system with a timer and it works fine, no need for any pumps etc

how do you fill them? Does your lotty water mains have enough head to pump up high enough?

BTW, you the only other person ive ever met who knows what 'stollage' is. Apparently, according to Dave Gorman, if you combine it with 'parrot' it used to be a googlewhack.

the one on my bit of farmland is filled with rainwater from the sroof of the stables. The one at the allotment is filled by rainwater from the shed roof and from the hosepipe when it needs topping up. the issue isnt really filling it as you say its legitamate to do it. By getting the head it avoids the need for any sort of pump or generator etc.

the one on my bit of farmland is filled with rainwater from the sroof of the stables. The one at the allotment is filled by rainwater from the shed roof and from the hosepipe when it needs topping up. the issue isnt really filling it as you say its legitamate to do it. By getting the head it avoids the need for any sort of pump or generator etc.

hmm, good point about getting a head up. Ill have to check how far up the lotty tap can push water upwards. The shed is a bog standard 6x8, so the highest i can get tanks up is about 4 feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back