Advice re types of showers please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to install a new bathroom from scratch.

We are doing away with a bath & having a walk in shower. Our present shower in located in the bath and runs directly off a combi boiler.

We are looking at switching to an electric shower. I realise this will cost more to run plus the cost of the shower unit but this leaves us with an alternative in the event of a boiler breakdown which would leave us with no hot water in the house. Also the hot water supplied will be instant rather than the current usual combi delay ------ not a problem for me but seems to be for my wife!

Our water pressure is on the low side and if there is another demand (Washing machine/dishwater etc) it can be very very low.

My question is --------- Can we install a power electric shower without having to have a separate reserve tank in the loft? If so are these products generally reliable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Power showers rely on an equal pressure supply of both hot and cold water.....there is an internal pump to boost things up so they are often found where gravity pressures are low.
Personally I'd keep the shower from your combi if possible or go to a normal electric.....and the larger kW for that one the better.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman, I'd be happy to retain the combi supply however the pipe travel from said boiler to outlet is quite lengthy so it does take a while to deliver hot water.....not a problem for me but my wife thinks it is!
So if we do end up going for a 'normal' electric of say 8 to 10 kW do these require a dedicated circuit or can they be included on the ring main. We have two 13amp circuits - upstairs & downstairs.

Electric showers need their own dedicated supply, consisting of the correct grade of cable and circuit breaker within your consumer unit.....their electrical consumption is very high.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You may also want to explain to your wife that the electric shower won't output anywhere near the pressure or flow that your current shower does, especially in the winter when the inlet cold water is colder, it certainly won't feel as powerful as your current shower does. It will cost a lot more in electricity to run and depending on the length of the cable required, the cost of the supply circuit, switching and MCB/RCD upgrades may cost as much if not more to install than the electric shower will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back