Advice required - Repairing wooden windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I used to live in a new house with UPVC windows but now live in an old house with wooden casement windows. Some of them are rotting on the sills so I am trying to figure out the best way to repair these myself. As it is the first time I have undertaken such a task I want to ensure I know the best way. I have attached a picture of the worst window below.

I found a youtube clip:

It seemed informative but was in relation to a larger repair and the guy did it with car body filler, then painted over with water based paint. What I want to know if anyone can help is:

1. Is car body filler better than something like Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler ?
2. What grade of sandpaper is best for gaining a smooth finish? I have a Black & Decker Mouse sander which I can use for that.
3. The youtube clip mentioned about painting directly onto the glass then using a window scraper to remove the pain on the glass. Can this be done with gloss?
4. Any recommendations as to best exterior paint to use?

Thanks

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
Hi.

One of the things about old fashioned Sash and Case windows is that all such windows are constructed from lots of component parts, to get a feel for a Sash and Case assembly, suggest you Google, "Timber Sash and Case Windows" this may give you a feel for the different bits and how they all fit together, such as Parting Beads, Sills, Baton Rods, Pockets, Pullies, Etc.

The thing about Sash and Case is that you can form the bits you need, or some of the timber components are "generally" available off the shelf.

Replacing a Sash Window sill is generally thought of in two parts, those being a Full Sill replacement, for this you have to know what you are doing, But? if the Timber Sill is rotting on the outer surfaces only then what is known in Scotland at least is replace a "Half Sill" this latter is the hacking out and replacing only that area of the Sill that is on the external area of the Sill.

A photo of your Sill may assist replies?

If the damage was in my house or I was asked to undertake a Car Body Filler Repair, I would walk away. in Sunshine the Coefficient of expansion differential between the remaining timber and the Car body Filler is large, then comes the rain and rain water will enter and continue the rot on the Sill

Ken

That frame appears to be well past it's best, I'm afraid but to try and answer your questions......
Ronseal and car body filler are essentially the same, but car stuff is a little easier to mix and as the oxidising agent is usually red in colour, it's easier to see when it's mixed.
Start with an 80 grit paper, and go to a 120 grit to give a smooth finish.
If I didn't have a steady hand, I'd consider using masking tape to prevent paint covering the glass.
Zinsser have quality undercoats that help with a good gloss finish.
John :)

dont bother with car body filler,research resin repair its excellent gear and you can fill large areas just by putting in pieces of timber to take up the space.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The affected area does not appear to require much wood to be removed. It's more of a long crack.
I have just found Unibond Repair Wood for good resin repair so I think I will get some of that. I have checked the reviews and they all say it's very good.

I will also check out the Zinsser undercoat.

Regarding painting over the glass then scraped off as per the YouTube clip would this be recommended with gloss?

It only looks like a long thin section but I will need to take a closer inspection

You need a fibreglass paste. Car body filler isn't very waterproof - it actually gets waterlogged over a period of time. The paste is what they use for marine repairs. You can get a 2 lire tin from Halfords for 15 quid. I use it for loads of things around the place.

Thanks for the reply. I have actually bought some Unibond Repair Wood filler now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back