Advise needed wrt gas pipe size.

Guys we all know, Gas Safe are toothless and wont do **** about anything, never mind something as minor as this, take it up with your installer, or get someone to do you a rerun at recost, if its all working ok and he wont do you a rerun free, i'd live with it, dont bother going to gas safe or HSE coz they wont give 2 ****s

Sponsored Links
As long as the gas rate is fine and the gas pressure is within the MI's the pressure drop can be more than 1mb (as long as it doesnt affect other gas appliances (which you dont have) why did you bother hiring a gas safe reg plumber when you could obviously do a much better job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont seem to remember your ACS training and the British Standard then?

I do have to say that any significant length of 15mm is going to result in a pressure loss of more than the 1 mB which is the maximum permitted at full power.

Since he has not upgraded the gas supply ( at your cost ) during the installation AND he has not completed the Benchmark then I would take the view that he is not doing his job as conscientiously as he ought to.

As he has already bben paid you may not get much response when you ask him about it and if thats the case then you have every right to call gas safe for an inspection. But do give him the opportunity to put things right first.

Tony

Yes then they will do JACK ****, and if he aint realy registered they will care even less :mad:

My experience of gas safe and undersized pipework,

I did a landlords safety check on boiler installed 4 months earlier by some one else , only had 13 mb at boiler so noted it on sheet advised customer that i could easily rectify it as there was 28mm dead straight run then for some reason they had run 6m in 15mm up over and round a door way.

Week later a get a call from local Gas safe inspector to come see me about how id worried the customers and they had complained about me !
They thought i was just hawking for work and how i shouldn't be so judgemental ,and if id have allowed for the loss across the gas valve it would nearly be correct (18mb in MI`s if i rember rightly) .

Errm so whatever give it a try maybe they will care maybe not

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys. I think perhaps I may be worrying unnecessarily but just about to have new kitchen installed and wouldn't want to start trying to upgrade the gas pipe after the units are fitted.

newgasinstaller - Never said I could do a better job. I needed a Veissmann approved installer to get the 5 year warranty. Just expected, having parted with 2k, for everthing to be ok.

The installer was a really sound guy and wouldn't want to get him into any trouble. Will certainly speak to him in the first instance. Also going to fit a CO sensor for peace of mind.

Say one thing for Gas Safe they certainly know how to put the willys up people with horror stories about carbon monoxide poisoning!

Cheers guys

I did a landlords safety check on boiler installed 4 months earlier by some one else , only had 13 mb at boiler so noted it on sheet advised customer that i could easily rectify it as there was 28mm dead straight run then for some reason they had run 6m in 15mm up over and round a door way.

Week later a get a call from local Gas safe inspector to come see me about how id worried the customers and they had complained about me !
They thought i was just hawking for work and how i shouldn't be so judgemental ,and if id have allowed for the loss across the gas valve it would nearly be correct (18mb in MI`s if i rember rightly) .

That sounds appalling.

I would like to learn more about it in the CC

Post it here, all this 'post it in the cc' is a load of crap IMO

I was also intrested in this, don't go into cc please,if it's wrong, the mods will move it?

Agile, i think your a top guy and you gave some advice the other week,to me, as i'd done the damage, but someone with an half decent brain can read what you posted,and workout it should be in cc.

As some people, well, one, says cc is bulloks,never been through the door but, can imagine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Who is the lord :LOL:

The forum rules, quite sensibly in my view, say that we should not encourage or advise on DIY gas work on an open forum. I try to stay within those guidelines.

Thats not aimed at Lou Lou, gas trainees or any other reader who has learnt rather more than most and would probably be reasonably careful. I do sometimes hint at something ( maybe what LL was refering to above ) but I certainly dont give detailed how to do it instructions and always advise that an RGI should be called.

But anyone can and does read these open forums and if we gave any detailed advice then it would be likely to be tried out by some who really dont have enough knowledge to be expected to do the job safely.

The matter referred to above involves a rather sensitive aspect of how Gas Safe have dealt with an RGI and is certainly not in my opinion something that should be publically discussed. In the CC with a reasonably restricted membership we can be more open at expressing our views.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back