advise on what I need to do to this meter head?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I wondered what I should do with the meter head (at leaset i think its called the meter head could be wrong)

I have attached some photos of it it is very old looking and it appears to have some black substance leaking out of it or has had in the past. what ever has leaked looks like it has damaged one of the cables below.

Should I call an electrician out or should I contact my electric supplier. Many thanks for any advice it just doesnt look all that safe
IMG_20160512_142839733.jpg
IMG_20160512_142855705.jpg
IMG-20161001-WA0002.jpg
IMG_20160512_142842956.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Taylor

Thanks for the reply I will look to contact them, i think it might be a different DNO as when I registered on diynot I accidently ended up in berwickshire i live in berkshire.

Sponsored Links
For the benefit of others reading this, Customers can also contact or obtain the information from their electricity supplier (the company that sends the bill) and the name and phone number of your Distributor is shown on the bill and online.

For example, see SSE's web page https://www.sse.co.uk/help/energy/meters/leaking-electricity-meter#item1

Leaking electricity meter

If your electricity meter is leaking, try not to panic. With a few simple checks, you can get the problem solved as quickly as possible.

If the leaking substance is hot
If there's a hot substance like black tar leaking from your electricity meter, and it has a strange smell, you need to phone your local network operator. You can find the number on our emergency phone numbers page.

If the leaking substance is cold
If the substance is cold and there's no smell, phone our enquiry line on 0345 026 2658. Our advisers will take your details and pass them to your local network operator who will contact you to discuss what needs to be done.

Related links

The substance is cold so I will call the relevant number

The substance will be cold now it is no longer in contact with the source of heat inside the cut out (meter head). There may be a poor connection inside and it does need to be checked by the DNO. Informing your supplier will delay the check that is assuming the supplier does pass the report onto the DNO

The DNO is SSE. That's who I hope the OP will call, and not the company to who he pays his electricity bill.

Yes your DNO will replace it, we had the same issue although ours was a three phase head, they came out and replaced the lota couple of weeks later, all for no extra charge. They did take the whole morning though.

Lots of recent pushes to make the supplier the "single source of contact" have given us this mess.

I wouldn't trust the system, and no reason why you shouldn't call the DNO directly.

Hi all

Just following up that a operative from DNO came out to inspect the meter head and he didint think there was anything to worry about just explained the reason why this tar based solution leaks out and said that as long as it wasnt getting hot or starting to smell he saw no reason to do anything to it.

Thanks for all the responses

I'm surprised, so maybe the pitch isn't essential then.
Ours had problems with the IP rating as well, so maybe that was why they changed it not from the pitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back