Advise plaese

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently getting the exterior of the house repainted, but the painter who is doing it turned up 5 weeks late blaming the weather and his kids, so he turned up on Saturday worked half a day worked all day Monday and i have not seen him since so i rang him to see what was happening and he told me he was painting the inside of a pub and i might get back to me on Saturday, i expressed my disappointment to him and his answer was thats life, i have to go where the work is.
if you were in my shoes would you get another painter as my worry now is he will return and rush the job and make a mess of it.

Sponsored Links
Tricky ground, have you paid the chap for the whole job? If not I would say pay him a percentage of the agreed price based on what he has done but if the he can't keep a schedule and respect you as a customer then get another painter in who is prepared to get it done to an agreed schedule for an agreed price. He can also probably advise what you should pay the other chap for what he has done based on quality and quantity.

I have not paid him anything yet. i will pay him for the time he has worked and the paint he has used thats it
would another painter be happy to finish the job.

I would say so, it may be that what has already done would benefit from a quick re-coat also but obviously I have not seen the job. Ask around for a reputable local painter or even a handyman of the 'no job too small' variety who will normally be happy to do the work.

As mentioned if you get another chap round to quote then agree a price and a timeframe, on paper is advisable.

Sponsored Links
Did your decorator, tell you that he was going to leave your job to do the work in the pub?, If not tell him not to bother to come back on the job.
I must admit with our lovely weather, you do stand a chance on running over but you should tell your customer this .And if you do run over then each job should full back to suit .On my last job I lost four days due to the weather.It obvious the painter subs out to the builder doing the work on the pub but I cant blame him but really he should of told you

He told me on Monday when he wa packing up he would not be with me on Tuesday as he had to do a wee job, no mention of a pub. he came highly recommended be a friend of the wife.
i will ring a few painters in the morning but i like to see a tradesman's work before i get him to work for me,
i am particular when it comes to my home, maybe i am expecting too much.

In the current climate of the building trade there are literally hundreds of painters who would jump at the chance to do that job. I'd be hard pushed to pay him for what he has done already? I'd certainly opt to renegotiate considering he left you in the lurch and took in the big pub job at your expense. He'd be lucky to get half of the money that he has worked so far as a parting fee.
It'd be different if there was loads of work and painters were hard to come by and had lots and lots of work on. These days if a painter is busy, another will be only too happy to step in.

I have another local painter coming tonight to give me a price to finish the job, i think i will pay the first painter for the paint he has used and one days pay.
I will let you know what happens.
Madder what part of Ireland do you live?

I have another local painter coming tonight to give me a price to finish the job, i think i will pay the first painter for the paint he has used and one days pay.
I will let you know what happens.
Madder what part of Ireland do you live?

North Dublin.

Update.
The painter who messed me about came down earlier to collect his things and leave a few tubs of paint which he had not yet used and he give me a bill which i will pay on Monday.
But the paint he bought for the base of the house and windowsills is the wrong colour, i tried to return it to the shop but they would not take it back as it was made up in the shop for the painter.
So should i deduct this paint from his bill or what would you advise?

As long as you made it absolutely clear to him the paint you wanted i see no reason why you should pay for his mistake

I told him from the outset that i wanted Crown spice he got Dulux trade Spice.

I told him from the outset that i wanted Crown spice he got Dulux trade Spice.

Thing about painters is they usually have an account with a trade store or whatever. So when someone picks a colour from a chart, the painter will go to their own dealer and have the colour made up, and most of the time it's fine and is a decent match to the colour you selected. It's normally cheaper buying mixed up instead of off the shelf too. So don't go too hard on him over that, as he was probably saving you money as well as making things more convenient! Well, at least he was until he jacked it in!
Is there a huge difference between the colour you want and the colour you got or are you just saying that it's not Crown SPice and therefore it isn't the right colour? Worth looking closely at. Dulux Trade is high quality in my opinion.

The bill is almost £500.00, he is billing me for paint and 1 1/2 days labour.
But his original price was £700.00 for all the paint and labour. but today i had to buy a further 25 litres of masonry paint, black under coat & gloss, white gloss and wood stain. that cost me £145.00. now i have to pay the new painter for four days labour to finish the job.
Madder the paint he got is way off the mark, it is far too orange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back