African American

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not like the expression “African-American.” It’s patronizing, condescending, and racist.

Or is it just me?

Sponsored Links
It would seem that all words which describe black people will become patronizing, condescending and racist.

I think 'black' sounds unpleasant but it appears to be the one favoured by them at present.

Do you consider Irish-American and all the other nationalities in the same way or is it that African is not specific enough?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
It would seem that all words which describe black people will become patronizing, condescending and racist.

True. Coloured people, West Indians, darkies, blacks, and many more (some of which I wouldn't dare to mention on here) have all come and gone. If all of these words are 'unacceptable', it must be something else...

Sponsored Links
I don't think MOBO is racist but I can imagine a bit of a reaction if there were MOWO awards.

Or a National White Police Association to mirror the National Black Police Association.

Or a men only club

or

or

Don't you just love equality? (Need to check with wife if that's OK to post)

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I want to be at the BNP meeting when you ask that question

Well I'm all for "StraightNormalHeterosexual Day" but a lot of people turn their backs on it.

Just a whiff of "I'm not a racist but" floating around here together with a healthy dose of ignorance. Both tend to go together.
To help you out, MOBO stands for music of black origin. It apparently applies to some sort of urban music which I'm not keen on and not proper blues which I am.
I presume you think it is awards for black artists? It isn't. Joss Stone has won for instance.

Sponsored Links
Back