Air coming out of hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

i've got a friend that has been complaining that when he runs his hot tap either down stairs or up in his bathroom that it was running and cutting in with air.
when i went to look at his system i found that the vent pipe on his F + E tank was sucking in air.. when i placed my hand over the vent pipe it started to run fine.. obviously blocking the release vent is not an option so does anybody have some ideas on how i can sort it out for him??

cheers

Sponsored Links
Remove the blockage - it will be in either the cold feed to the cylinder or the hot outlet at the top.

"the vent pipe on his F + E tank "

Do you mean the small tank? 18" x 12" x 12" or so?

This should have no relevance to tap water.

If you mean the big cold water tank, then yes, could be blocked. e.g. with a drowned mouse or pigeon, or loft insulation fallen in. I would have thought the supply pipe rather than the outlet, but Softus is one of the plumbing princes, even though he is just a lad.

Oh jeepers JohnD, that's going to bring some pretty meaty wrath from my elders and betters on the forum. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Perfect. I'm much more comfortable when being demeaned. ;)

The first time I came across this was in 1982 as an apprentice. I can still remember the house!
The culprit was a malleable iron elbow that was fitted on the feed pipe to the cylinder. It had rusted inside and created the blockage.
A restriction here causes air to be sucked in at the vent. I sussed out that if I put a temporary stop end on the vent that the problem would stop.

Slugbabydotcom said:
...It had rusted inside and created the blockage.
A restriction here causes air to be sucked in at the vent.
I concur.

And the same effect can be had by chipping off bits of foam lagging and dropping them into the cylinder - they bob-up and block the outlet. This is quite hard to do of course, but I guess there are people out there who practise until they've got it right. ;)

Slugbabydotcom said:
The first time I came across this was in 1982 as an apprentice. I can still remember the house!
The culprit was a malleable iron elbow that was fitted on the feed pipe to the cylinder. It had rusted inside and created the blockage.
...beat that by 8 years :LOL: and the other apprentice was left like the Dutch boy and the dyke...for an hour till we got back ...yep it broke off in his hand :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back