air in system or airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having lots of problems with my central heating, I have mircrobore pipes, ideal standard Icos HE24 boiler, tvrs fitted onto rads. All the rads are getting hot, but some of the rads need constant bleeding as there is air in these rads, the water is fizzing as I bleed these certain rads. When you turn the heating on you can also hear the water run through the rads and eventually through the pump and the boiler. There is a pattern to this as the system will run for approx 1 to 1 half hours and then the boiler will make some bangs and then shut down, and continue this until I turn the heating off, if I leave the heating off for an hour and restart, the system will restart and then run for an hour to hour and half and repeat this continually.

I have tried different pump speeds, no change. Do I need a new pump or can this be blocked.

Is there problems with the boiler, have no problems with hot water.

Have been recommended to powerflush but reluctant as pipes are in the walls.

Have tried noise reducers and sentinel x100. Looked at tank in loft all ok.

Is there a leak any where, how is the air getting into the system as is a sealed system. Shall I take every rad off and run water through and drain system, do I need to drain boiler.

Really need help. Need a good plumber with knowledge of microbore. thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suspect you don't have a sealed system, and it is pumping over or sucking in air.

Hold a glass of water under the vent pipe and get someone to turn the boiler on and off a few times, does it suck the water out.

Do you have a small and large tank in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back