Air in system or kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into a a house (built in 1955) and have had problems with the heating, i could only get a few rads hot at a time and they took a while. I had it powerflushed (twice as it didn't get enough out the first time!!) and I have heating in all my radiators which is great!

When the heating system turns on at 6am I hear the flow in the pipes as normal and then I hear the flow sound change like a pitch change, pitching up to a crescendo (this takes about 2 seconds) followed immediately by a number of bangs which sounds like large bubbles of air moving up the pipes out of the boiler as it begins heating the house. This continues for about 10 minutes with the bangs coming at reasonably regular intervals about 1 or 2 minutes apart. I.E it bangs the first time then it;s quiet for a few minutes then the same pitching change to the sound of the flow and another series of bangs. in between the bangs there are occiasional blooping sounds as bubble of air settle into the top radiators throughout the house. After about half an hour running it seems all the air is in the radiators and the boiler then runs perfectly silent for the rest of the day.

I bleed the radiators every day and only get a little bit of air out of each of my upstairs radiators and none out of my downstairs rads at all.

When I turn off the heating using the heating controls there is a sound like someone pouring water down a pipe, lots of sloshing sound (best word i think to describe it). I presume this sound is water loaded with air. I also presume that the reason the bangs in the morning are at regular intervals are because there is a pocket of air travelling around the pipework and when it gets through the boiler it causes it to heat up and expand and bubble and then shoot up the system. I think some of this air is finding it's way to my radiators for me to expell however i can only assume that some of it remains.

Each day about the same amount of air is expelled from each radiator and the banging sound persists for roughly the same amount of time.

I am at a loss if this is kettling or an airlock. If it is kettling then I can begin a course of treatment however to me it looks like air. the problem is I don't seem to be getting anywhere in removing the air that's in the system.

I've checked the F&E tank is functioning correctly.

My system specifications are
Cast Iron boiler (original probably) with a new baxi bermuda sp3 fire on the front. It's a gravity fed system and is only half pumped. the heating system is pumped and the hot water system uses convection (i assume)

The pump is downstairs near the boiler on the return pipe from the rads (not upstairs near the HW tank like might easily be assumed). It's a 4 speed pump that im running at 2.

I've been bleeding the radiators every day since the powerflush which was 2 weeks ago now. the plumber did say that there would likely be air left in the system but that if i bled regularily, it should go within a few days.

Can anyone offer advice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back