Air trapped in pipework heating. Can't move it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After looking at several things, managed to get the heating to work. But drained it all down to add a cleaner, but now the boiler keeps cutting out again!

Sure it's air trap, just can't see any way to get rid of it. Done all bleed valves etc. Tried at the boiler to. Any recomedatios

Sponsored Links
It's a worcester greenstar si. Header tank in loft. I feel like I have tried everything.

I have left the pump valve slightly open as every now and the I can hear air. I have used the drain at boiler. And the bleed vent at the top of it, which let's out steam as the boilers overheating because of air.

Not sure where else to try

thanks

Someone methinks recommends that the cold feed to your heating is blocked,and thats why its not filling, and I would agree.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure water is getting into the system from the headed tank. Suppy pipe may be blocked. Tie up the ballcock, note the water level in header tank, drain off a bucketful at the drawoff point and check that water level in header tank has gone down. If not feed is blocked.

Someone methinks recommends that the cold feed to your heating is blocked,and thats why its not filling, and I would agree.

You thinks right.

Its one of 2 things mate.

1. Gate valve on cold feed has jammed shut when you closed it to drain down or

2. The pipework between the cold feed, Vent and Flow is blocked full of crap.

Personally i would go for the gate valve first.

Ok cheers guys! Gate valve is fine. It's filling from tank in loft, had to use a hose pipe to get it going!

I don't know how to clear the blockage. I am wishing this was a combi.

I just can't think what to do.

Last time I hit the pipes a few times and it worked
but this time it's being a pain in the back side.

Any advice on how to clear the system?

Thanks

Try draining the system again. Then fill the system from the drain off point with a hose. Stop filling when water enters the F&E tank.

Sometimes back-filling with mains pressure water sorts it. I have fitted a filling loop on my mums system, at the lowest point of the system.

What did you do with the hose pipe?

,the gate valve is from the small tank on the cold feed to the heating pipes.Is any water going from small tank into the heating pipes.

Try draining the system again. Then fill the system from the drain off point with a hose. Stop filling when water enters the F&E tank.

Sometimes back-filling with mains pressure water sorts it. I have fitted a filling loop on my mums system, at the lowest point of the system

If you fitted a filling loop on yer Mothers system and left it in place, you want your head testing

Just put cleaner in it, if I drain it I'll lose it.
I just can't believe how difficult this is. It's a crap system!
The water gets nice and hot to pump. Makes it to the feed of the only radiator left on and the dies.

When I drain the water from the return of boiler it flows fine. It does not make sense. Surely that says the flow is fine.

I am at a real lose.

there should be no gate valve on the cold feed pipe from the f & e cistner, this is dangerous and will cause pumping over.

try turning h/w and then heating on at the programmer, for about 20 seconds no more, this sometimes draws water in and shifts air from around the pump connection. Is the pump in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back