Air vent required for open gas fire?

H

HiZ

As per subject is one needed for a large sitting/dining room. Burner is 6.85kW max.

Did I remember 10cm squared of free air is needed for anything over 7kW. Below that your OK?

Plastic windows and patio doors fitted. One wood door to hallway.

Sponsored Links
Anything below 7KW is o.k. no additional ventilation required due to adventitious ventilation. ( The natural ventilation between cracks in doors, spaces in windows. etc).
Call me suspicious but do you happen to have a copy of M.I.`s in front of you & are just testing the knowledge of gas engineers/installers on this forum :?: .....you seem to have a fair grasp on outputs & ventilation requirements for a Diy`er...

unless its a dfe ( decorative fuel effect) fire you dont need an air vent for gas rated input of 7kw or less( usually known as ilfe or inset live flame effect)
if its a dfe then u need 100cm2 mandatory

Manufacturers Instructions take precedent, your local Corgi gas Installer will put you right..

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe
Said
Manufacturers Instructions take precedent,

Cant beleive that is right.

your local Corgi gas Installer will put you right..

I can beleive that

Diyisfun said:
Bamber gaspipe
Said
Manufacturers Instructions take precedent,

Cant beleive that is right.

Believe it.. because it is correct.

Bamber gaspipe

Now dont start on me
BUT
I reckon that CORGI must take a precedent over the manufacture.

You `reckon` wrong..I am not starting on you, merely stating a fact.

superskanker said:
unless its a dfe ( decorative fuel effect) fire you dont need an air vent for gas rated input of 7kw or less( usually known as ilfe or inset live flame effect)
if its a dfe then u need 100cm2 mandatory

not in all cases some say they dont need 100cm2 in the manu,s instructions

Diyisfun said:
kevplumb

it is correct the MIs overrule the corgi lot

Im surprised...Bet Corgi, dont like that

Its none of their business, manufacturers make and test it and know what it requires to burn safely.

Its very dangerous for an RGI to "think" that he knows whats required!

With a gas fire the MI have to be read first as many do require ventilation even if the heat input is under 7 kW. ( Why do I think of 6 kW for gas fires? )

The reason RGIs fixate on 7 kW is because you disregard the FIRST 7 kW when calculating the ventilation requirements of an open flued appliance.

Thats what the regulations say! In my view they are now wrong and potentially dangerous. This arises because UPVC windows are virtually 100% airtight and the same goes for the laminate floor.

Tony

So you do a spillage test on dfe that does not require ventilation, it passes, the room has pvc double glazing and a laminate floor, what do you do, ID it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back