Airlock in Towel Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've one of these Reina Camden radiators with towel rail in a bathroom. I've noticed recently that the rail itself isn't getting hot, despite having bled it. The radiator bit does get warm (could be hotter though) but the rail remains stone cold.

camden__81882.1423140911.450.800.png

The bleed valve is located at the top right hand side where the rad meets the rail. My guess is there's air trapped in the rail and that it's sitting slightly higher than the bleed valve (a quick check with a level seems to suggest that the rail is sitting very marginally higher).

Is there any way of purging the air out? Or is it a case of unscrewing the rad from its upper fixings and trying to tilt forward to bleed?

Sponsored Links
Turn all other rads off and run the heating. You may find that clears air out, or it might be a balancing problem.

Will do. I doubt it's balancing, as I spent a good amount of time last weekend balancing the whole system. Never say never, mind.

Still, I'm fairly sure it's an airlock as the rail remains absolutely stone cold whereas the rad section does get warm.

Right, still no luck.

Isolated radiator and eventually it got fairly warm at the bottom, lukewarm at the top, and stone cold in the towel rail. It's bled. The water coming out of the bleed valve is cold.

The bleed valve is located on the underside at the top right, just on the wall side of where the towel rail meets the radiator outlet. What I don't know is whether that valve has a needle to the top of the pipe in order to ensure it bleeds correctly. I might close the feed and return valves and then remove the valve to see what the setup is.

Anyone else any ideas though?

Sponsored Links
If you're getting heat through, then the air lock must be in return. Bleed a couple or three litres through the return.

Take rad off and flush through pipework by connecting between valves. Flush rad through in garden with hose. Check valve are opening and closing properly. If you can't sort this in situ!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back