Alarm Battery Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you work out the calculations for a 7.0 amp standby battery to last 12hrs please? I think i am right in saying that 15mins alarm time should be included in the calculation.

standby current 290 milliamps
alarm current 520 milliamps

is it

290 x 11.75 = 3407.5
520 x 0.25 = 130

3407.5+130=3537.5

3537.5/12=294.80

7000/294.80=23.74 hrs?

Sponsored Links
Essentially yes.

Draw / Battery
290ma / 7000ma = 24.12hrs

However bear in mind when a battery ages it capacity can reduce, also alarm panels will only stay stable down to 11v ish. As the battery drains the voltage drops, so although there will still be current the voltage will disappear and the panel will become unstable.

So try not to put a 3.2aH battery in because it meets the 12hr min but rather stick a 7aH in.

I personally have 17aH batteries on my home alarm, even though mine is installed to BS regs which states 8 hour min.

Essentially yes.

Draw / Battery
290ma / 7000ma = 24.12hrs

However bear in mind when a battery ages it capacity can reduce, also alarm panels will only stay stable down to 11v ish. As the battery drains the voltage drops, so although there will still be current the voltage will disappear and the panel will become unstable.

So try not to put a 3.2aH battery in because it meets the 12hr min but rather stick a 7aH in.

I personally have 17aH batteries on my home alarm, even though mine is installed to BS regs which states 8 hour min.

Good advice.

Another question, should the milliamp reading be only taken when the battery is fully charged as the charging of the battery would affect the reading?

Sponsored Links
Yes in theory, although unless very discharged the current drawn from the battery should remain the same.

Remember testing load from battery when mains is off is only giving the current drawn, if you want to calculate how long that will last you need to know the current capacity of the battery.
Just because a battery is 7aH doesn't mean it actually is!

ACT do a range of battery capacity testers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back