Alarm cable suitability for AG6 Siren/Bell Box

Sponsored Links
It's alarm cable, it's what we use.

Why should it seem to be such a problem to you, it's what we use.

Well I needed some cable in a hurry so bought it from sf rather than a proper alarm shop/supplier and thought it looked a bit thin. Like sf had gone for the cheap and cheerful - as they only stock the one type.

It's 8 x 0.2mm but I guess double up the power which then provides 0.4mm so I guess that's fine like you say.

I thought what with the siren load and charging the battery and flashing the light and a long run of 15m it may not be heavy enough.

Maybe I was thinking along the line if bought from a proper alarm supplier it would be like telephone cable thickness and solid core not stranded.

Well thanks for the reassurance and i'll leave it in as is - cheers and it's good to know it doesn't need replacing.

Sponsored Links
Even drawing everything it can, the bell can only use a fraction of an amp. The cable is 0.22mm^2 and a single core can easily carry this current and the volt drop will be insignificant too.

Now, if you're using it to supply a double maglock... ;)

When I was wiring up my alarm the cable ran short when I was running the cable for the bell box (Texecom Odyssey 3E), and I bought that same cable from Screwfix.

Had no issues with it whatsoever. I think I might have used it to connect up my expander too.

I've tried comparing the current draw from the Odyssey 3E (in SAB mode) with the following manual for AG6 siren
http://www.responseelectronics.com/downloads/1364919412AG6_Wired_Siren.pdf

If that is the same siren as you, then you have nothing to worry about.
The siren + bells current draw of the Odyssey 3E is higher than the AG6, and I have had no issues at all.

Most alarm cables I have seen are stranded, not solid core. Though I am a DIYer so might not have seen all the alarm cables out there!

Arr yes cheers EightyTwo and desig and thanks the pdf for the AG6 it states:

"LOAD CURRENT 35mA nom. Quiescent.
260mA nom. Combined sounder and strobe.
125 mA nom. Strobe only."

So all's fine I'm surprised how little these things draw!

I'll quad-up all 8 cores with it for the mag locks!

Cheers all

You're going to connect your 'bell' supply to Maglocks?

Not a good idea, keep them seperated, like these two lines :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back