Alarm Co refusal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've recently acquired a property that has an installed alarm system. I have no contract with the company who last touched it and there is no contract in place with the previous owners (based on the last data label inside the control panel).

There are some minor tweaks I would like to make before the system is removed and replaced, however the company have refused point blank to provide me with the engineer code.

I'm quite happy to default if I have to but I've no idea if it's engineer locked and I suspect this co. will have done.

So, I own the equipment, have no contract but I'm not entitled to access it. Any idea how to proceed from here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It quite common for companies to refuse to release their engineering code, if they did, because most stick to the same one, or just change it periodically, if they revealed it to you, you would now have the code for other installations of theirs.

So, you can try defaulting it, which from my limited experience normally works, or alternatively most companies will agree to change their engineers code to one of your choice for a small fee.

Thanks, I suspected it'd be something like that but very annoying that I can be held to ransom. That said, they never offered to do anything about it, just adamant that they would not give out the code. Might invoice them for a reset or panel replacement as they've been ultra helpful so far ;)

The panel is a eurosec cp8l, if this is engineer locked and I default it, does anyone know if the panel reset but still leave me locked out or will it leave the configuration intact?

Sponsored Links
It will default master and engineer code only ( if not locked ) depending on which default you do !

I'm aware of the power off default method in the installation manual. What isn't clear is what happens to the panel? If I default with no engineer lock, it goes back to factory with the default codes, yes? If it is engineer locked does it stay as it is - e.g fully programmed or does it factory reset the programming but then prevent access without the specific engineer code?

Any chance you can give me hand getting in? Via PM if necessary, as I'm aware the specifics are considered sensitive by some.

If you default the panel and it is engineer locked then the user code will default and you will be able to change that code via user programming.
The locked engineer code will prevent you from reprogramming the system and you will lose all zone description names in the programmming.
The panel PCB is useless if you have not got the engineer code.
Ask the alarm company to reset the engineer code for a reasonable fee.

Cheapest option if locked ,

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    460 KB · Views: 253
Why would they release their engineer code to you? Get real! Not going to happen!

I am sure they will happily send an engineer around to reset to a default code, with a minimum charge of their call out fee etc. Completely expected.

Get in the real world. Understand business. Understand life. FFS.

Why would they release their engineer code to you? Get real! Not going to happen!

I am sure they will happily send an engineer around to reset to a default code, with a minimum charge of their call out fee etc. Completely expected.

Get in the real world. Understand business. Understand life. FFS.

PMSL seriously? Are you real? Are you the director from the firm who hung up?

They did not offer to do anything reasonable. In fact they point blank refused to do anything. Bear in mind that I own the equipment There is no contract in place, nor was there a contract in place with the previous owners. Oh, they didn't even fit the alarm they did a take over for the previous owner 5+ years ago.

By your view point, if I drove a hire car some time ago I can restrict access to who can use it in the future.

Don't be stupid. They are not going to release their code to you, as it will be used for many other sites. They would be foolish to trust you with the number. They would more than likely happily send an engineer to default it for you, but why should they do this for free? It's their time.

Engineer codes is always an issue with DIYers, but be fair to the company, why would they EVER release a code to you that could cause issued with the security of many other sites?

Again......Get real.

I guess the right thing to do when 'inheriting' an alarm system is to demand the engineer code from the existing occupants, if they can't provide it then deduct £50 or whatever a suitable callout fee is from the sale price!

as you say there is no contract so no reason for them to help you.

Don't be stupid. They are not going to release their code to you, as it will be used for many other sites. They would be foolish to trust you with the number. They would more than likely happily send an engineer to default it for you, but why should they do this for free? It's their time.

Engineer codes is always an issue with DIYers, but be fair to the company, why would they EVER release a code to you that could cause issued with the security of many other sites?

Again......Get real.

<sigh> I don't need an engineer to default it, I can quite happily do that. Having the code to avoid having to reprogram is desirable. I'm happy to pay a modest fee for them to come and change the code to something that isn't a trade secret but they are not willing to do anything *at all*. Do I need to repeat this again? They will not do anything. They are seemingly content to leave the system as is....doesn't stop them sending out the letters about maintenance though does it? They know the owner has changed too.

Their loss, they'll never see any money for any of the other equipment they installed either.

Hey-ho :D

as you say there is no contract so no reason for them to help you.

Except for the small matter the equipment doesn't belong to them and never has. They wouldn't help if it was under contract and I understand and appreciate the reasons for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back