Alarm help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some work done at the moment, few bits and bobs - new wood floor, plastering, etc.

Alarm cables keep cropping up.

This one has me foxed. It's the "old" front door, there's now a porch and a new door on this (well not new likely 10-15 years ago I should think) which has a magnetic sensor and the wire from that is then drilled through the top of the "old" door frame running down the door and then drilled to pass under the floorboards. (The wire actually ran a little under the old carpet so was being walked on which I imagine is not ideal). I've asked the joiner to think about this when the wood floor goes down.

Anyway, when I popped the skirting off I imagined the wire would be loose but its actually drilled into the door frame and then another hole has the lower wires coming out and continuing. The wires don't go to the other side of the frame and I can see no obvious contacts.

What's going on? No doubt I'll just pop the skirting back on but I'm intrigued that the wire somehow seems "joined" within the wood of the door frame!

The lower wire looks ropey with the individual cores just coming out of the wood like that also.

The door doesn't seem to be part of the alarm system now (I just wonder if it at some point would have been? We are only here a couple of years but have kept the alarm on its longstanding maintenance contract).

Skirting back on and carry on regardless or something that needs sorting?

Sponsored Links
so your saying the wires just stop and appear to go nowhere?

if theres no surface contacts do you have anything sunk into the door/ frame.

if you do a walk test and open and close the door, does a zone show up?

the picture shows cable going in and some cores coming out, so theres something either on the other side of the door or in the frame, i would guess?

Do you have a zone list then?

Sheesh, lower cable to old concealed contact at the inner door.

Upper cable now 'moves' this contact to the new outer door, couldn't be more obvious.

Cable joints seem to have been in a junction box, unpainted area, at some time or other.

Alarm cables under carpets is something that has always been done and will always be done to suit the situation.

By the way "few bits and bobs - new wood floor, plastering,etc" What's a big job in your house then? :LOL:

PS Did you, looking at your 'handle', used to repair old m/cls? I used to know them as 'all junk & spares' (ajs)

Sponsored Links
Maybe I need my eyes testing, or stop answering in my sleep.

The old cable for the previous contact and the cable to the new door.(circa not so new)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back