Alarm System Dilema's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had this dilemma for ages and still not sure which way to go, so thought the best compromise might be a hybrid system.

My Problem

1) New Build Property everything already in including carpets
2) No easy way to lift floor boards, so could run wire along carpet either upstairs, The what drill hole through board and ceiling with long drill ?

Questions

1) Should i be thinking about PIR upstairs maybe in office room where most valuable stuff is.
2) Suggestions on wiring up easily would be helpful as i'd rather have wired system maybe with just a few wireless contacts where hard to run wires to.
3) Keep reading and going around in circles Wired better but some really good wireless system, also if wireless so bad then why would companies like ADT install them

I'm a computer techie so it's the same debate / issues you get there between wired and wireless all depends on situation i suppose

But for Hybrid i was thinking texecom ricochet or Honeywell equivalent or better not sure whats regarded as a better more professional system

Sponsored Links
Sorry i should say what i'm thinking

PIR in Living Room and Shock / contact on patio
PIR in Hallway Downstairs
Shock Contact on from door
Shock Contact on Kitchen window, not sure if i should have a PIR ?

And as for upstairs unsure

Without doing a site survey one can only talk in general terms.

You can get a local alarm company to do a free survey.

You need to make sure as a minimum the route a burglar is likely to take is covered by the appropriate sensor.

Well i don't live in mansion so Downstairs there is

Living room, Hallway and Kitchen

Front Door, Patio and Kitchen window

So i've covered all areas just unsure if i should do Dual PIR in kitchen or just let the Hallway PIR do the detecting if entering via Kitchen

Obviously Kitchen has boiler etc so want to avoid the false alarms

Sponsored Links
you dont necessarily need a dual tech in the kitchen because the boiler is in the room.

Your are more likely to need a dual tech in say a conservatory.

detector placement is probably the single most important thing, then the type of detector.

I know some installation with bottom of the range reflex's all round the house with no issues at all, but the placements are good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back