Alcove cupboard and shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I'm in the middle of renovating our 1930's semi and i follow this forum regularly for tips which are really handy.

I've gained quite a bit of experience with decorating and finishing but am a woodworking novice. I've just finished decorating our lounge and would like to put in a low level cupboard and shelves in the alcove next to our fireplace (circa 1m wide, 40cm's deep)

I know there are lots of posts on this topic but they are quite dated and links / photos don't work.

can anyone point me in the direction of a good website with directions - or indeed offer any advice on materials, finish etc. I'm concerned that the walls are un even so i can't just lump a frame and shelf in there, how do you get an accurate fit?

I can get access to most tools as my father in law likes collecting power tools but never using them!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Keep it simple, you could just fit a base shelf with plinth and a top and then hang ready made doors [ikea, diy sheds etc] or make your own doors. Mdf is easy to use and can be routed for a fancy finish.If you go with ready made doors then you need to purchase to ensure you have the right dimensions. This is an alcove fitted with a mdf frame and Ikea wardrobe doors, you need to find something shorter.

You are asking too general questions. If you want to learn about woodworking, carpentry, cabinetmaking - your best bet is to go to a good bookshop and look what they have on the shelves. Then buy it cheaper from Amazon :D

In many cases though you just need to use common sense and to think the things trough. I had no experience with build-in furniture before but here is a picture of my bathroom cabinets in progress.

For you project you can buy doors (or make them yourself) and make a frame. If the walls are uneven, you can pack your frame, so it is straight. Or you can buy a cabinet of a suitable size and box it in the alcove. Like this (it is the built-in wardrobe we put in the bedroom, note the walls are not even at all)

I can upload another picture with the doors in place tomorrow.

If you have an idea what exactly you want to do, better describe it here and ask more specific questions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips. I have the general principals for shelving and I think I will scout around Ikea for any pre-made doors

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back