all day banging or an hour every day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what would you rather have as the neighbour..
a day of banging, scraping and drilling from next door or half an hour to an hour every day for a week or so?
not late or early, about 4-5pm ?

I've now got some money to do up the kitchen that I gutted when I first moved in ( that extra 3G dissapears fast the first month.. ), so I'm doing it now..
I've got to scrape the rest of the floor tiles up and bang a few more holes in the walls but have a bad back so I do it a bit at a time.. usually for half an hour or so when my dinner is in the oven cooking.. ( oven is in the spare room oposite kitchen ).

huh, no polls in the genera DIY?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd just ask your neighbour. Ours have been great with the amount of noise and banging going on, but we've maintained good contact with them just to be on the safe side (i.e. saying "if you're having people round, please let us know and we'll do something that hopefully won't be too much of a nuisance) but they don't care.

I reckon just letting them know your plans will be easier - you may even make a new friend ;)

sod the neighbour.. she has the great-grandkid and granddaugter round 3-4 times a week and the kid runs screaming through the house slamming doors all the time...

I introduced myself to her the day I moved in and she peered suspiciously at me round the door and looked at me like I was nuts.. she hasn't spoken to me since despite me saying hello to her on the occasions where our paths cross as I'm going to my car and she's coming back from the shops or whatever..

I even went downstairs to see is she was alright when we had a power cut, I went with my battery lamp on so she could see who it was, and some candles in case she didn't have any.. again got the head round the door and a "no, I'm alright" and a slammed door for my efforts..

Then do either, in the most convenient way to yourself, as unless your banging before 7am and after 11pm then its not going to be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Drop a note through her door asking when the great grand child is coming round, explain you want to do your noisy work at the same time as the child is banging doors and screaming. That way the child's noise will cover up the sound of your work and prevent her being disturbed by your noise.

:LOL:

s** the neighbour.. she has the great-grandkid and granddaugter round 3-4 times a week and the kid runs screaming through the house slamming doors all the time...

I introduced myself to her the day I moved in and she peered suspiciously at me round the door and looked at me like I was nuts.. she hasn't spoken to me since despite me saying hello to her on the occasions where our paths cross as I'm going to my car and she's coming back from the shops or whatever..

I even went downstairs to see is she was alright when we had a power cut, I went with my battery lamp on so she could see who it was, and some candles in case she didn't have any.. again got the head round the door and a "no, I'm alright" and a slammed door for my efforts..

Fk her then :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I thought you were concerned about your neighbour's feelings...

In that case, I'd say, bang away at slightly different times of the day, whenever suits you :D (She quite clearly needs a lesson)... That way they won't be able to think to themselves "oh it's such and such a time" as it's always variable, and to be honest, it'd drive me nuts. Much prefer one day of "getting it done and dusted" to hearing "tappity tap" for an hour a day over a prolonged period of time.

Better answer!? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Then do either, in the most convenient way to yourself, as unless you're banging before 7am and after 11pm then it's not going to be a problem.

7.00 am is too early, and 11.00 pm is far too late. Noisy work will affect a lot of people in the immediate area, not just the one neighbour.

I think most people feel better about noise when they know a) it's justified and b) it will stop when the work's finished. If you can reach an amicable understanding with your neighbour, all the better. But if you can't, making noise in retaliation and increasing bad feeling will always lead to harm.

It's always better to be civil to others, even if they can't be civil to you.

I'm not doing it for retaliation, I'm doing it because of my back..

I meant "sod the neighbour" in reference to the "make a new friend" comment.. I don't think she wants any new friends, and I don't particularly care if she has company round when I'm banging as she doesn't care whether I do when her grandkid is round, but I don't want to be a complete pain in the ass and alienate her more than she already is with me..

Then do either, in the most convenient way to yourself, as unless you're banging before 7am and after 11pm then it's not going to be a problem.

7.00 am is too early, and 11.00 pm is far too late. Noisy work will affect a lot of people in the immediate area, not just the one neighbour.

You may think so, however the law thinks otherwise :D

See the noise act 1996
section 2(6)

I'm sure that I have also read from one of the acts that a neighbour must expect another neighbour to "from time to time" create noise during DIY/maintenence etc and as long as this is not excessive then there is little that can be done about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back